Kayak transport options?

rpg51

After a life time of car topping and truck topping with every configuration known to man I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that unless I come up with another way I am going to have to start using a trailer in my old age.  I don't want to do it.  Trailers are a PIA to store and futz around with.  I like to use my full size pick up for trips for a whole host of reasons.  My habit now is to clamp two "Spring Creek" racks on the open bad and I use simple shaped foam blocks on the cross bars.  It works well. But, I am really struggling to get my boats up on the racks. Especially when I am alone, but lately even when my wife is along to help.

Given how high the rack is, I think my only option is to find a way to load from behind, placing the bow up on the rear rack with the stern on a pad on the ground.  Then lift rear and push the kayak up onto both racks.   I can barely reach the bottom of the hull when it is up on the racks, but I would not be opposed to using a small step stool as long as I don't have to have the full weight of the boat while standing on the step.  Is there a cradle, saddle, or similar item that will enable the kayak to slide easily as I push it along?

Any good ideas?  Is there a way to slide it up on some sort of cradles without destroying the hull?  I am using composite boats so some care needs to be taken not to destroy the hull.

Edited by rpg51

I have a similar setup on my truck. I tried an arrangement with some casters mounted upside down but this was a failure. The kayak will slide nicely on a towel over a foam block but alone this is tricky due to the height, especially if it's windy. I find I can set the boat across the bed rails then stand in the bed, get it up to shoulder height and rotate it 90 degrees onto the rack. I may have to keep getting lighter boats as I get older!

9 hours ago, Jim Snyder said:

I I find I can set the boat across the bed rails then stand in the bed, get it up to shoulder height and rotate it 90 degrees onto the rack.

I like it!  I'll give it a try tomorrow.  Maybe lay a towel over each bed rail, push the boat on the rails, climb in the bed and lift it onto the rack.  Sounds like a darn good idea to me. Thanks.

Have you figured out a way to attach the foam blocks to the rack cross bars so they stay put if you slide the kayak on them?

Edited by rpg51

My foam blocks are custom cut for my rack but even so without the towel they want to rotate off. With the towel, not a problem. There is a moment when you have to let go of the stern and you have to make sure it's passed the balance point and that the bow will land on the front foam. Getting the boat down solo I move it back almost to the balance point then throw a strap over the stern to pull it down.

Thanks. I'm thinking of zip tying my foam blocks to my crossbars and I'll try these ideas out.  Sounds like we are struggling with the exact same issues.  I've been carrying a small step stool which helps when tying off etc. 

I keep looking at trailers. But, the good ones are very expensive and they are a PIA when parking and to store etc.  Plus, you have deal with registration and insurance, keeping the lights working, poor visibility, etc.  I really don't want to go that route if I can avoid it. 

The title of this thread should be changed to "Geriatric Car Topping Woes."

Edited by rpg51