7/24/19: Wednesday Lunch Paddle #13

Joseph Berkovitz

Wednesday Lunch Paddle #13
Route: Riverhead Beach -> Peach's Pt. -> Coney I. -> Eagle I. -> Grays Rock -> Brown's I. -> Riverhead Beach
Track: GaiaGPS
People: me, David Mercer, Sue Morin, Ray Andrews, Romaine Randall, Rich Zwiercan, Elizabeth Williams, Mike Habich
Distance: 7.75 nm
LT: 11.06a (1.1'); HT: 5.24p (8.4')
Conditions: 5 kt N changing to E, seas < 1ft, air 69 F, water 70 F, dewpoint 60 F, overcast -> sun

A fun, relaxed Salem Sound outing in perfect summer weather.

10.30a: Low-tide launch from Riverhead Beach in overcast with some clearing apparent. Almost zero wind. We elected to stay to the west side of MHD harbor to avoid getting tangled in the multiple waves of Marblehead Junior Race Week contestants heading out to their race lines. Plan was to get to the fort and then look around to see what the racing venues would be and avoid them.

11.15a: Reconnaissance from Fort Sewall showed a lot of race activity to the NE and SE of the harbor. We decided to continue to Peach's Point and then cross to Coney Island for lunch. Some opportunities for low-impact rock play were found along the way, although there was little swell.

11.45a: Landing at Coney Island and lunch. Many kind offers from seagulls to help us consume any leftovers that might exist. By this time, skies had cleared and a light, pleasant easterly breeze was developing.

12.45p: Launch from Coney. The group wanted to put in some more mileage so the plan was to cross to Eagle Island by way of the Coney Ledges, much of which was still visible.

1.20p: Arrival at Eagle. A couple of folks got out on the west-side rocks for a break, while others surfed a small ledge break on the Eagle Bar jutting out to the SW of the island. I got one semi-decent ride but there was not a lot to work with. David M fared somewhat better.

1.40p: Begin crossing to Gray's Rock. Nearing max flood, with a strong (well, maybe 1 kt) NW current apparent during the crossing especially nearing Gray's.

2.20p: Short break behind Browns Island.

3.00p: All 8 paddlers return to Riverhead: another WLP with 0% lost at sea!