NDK: Latitude

NDK: Latitude kayak
I'm based in Maine and new to sea kayaking. I'm in the market for my first glass boat and have been demoing NDK kayaks. I'm looking for a boat that will allow me to do occasional multi-day and overnight trips but that is also fun for local day or afternoon paddles. Yesterday I went out with a guide a spent a couple of hours in both a Romany and an Explorer. We spent time on flat water and I also had the chance to play in the rock gardens and surf for the first time which was absolutely amazing. I've been pretty set on an Explorer but at the end of the day, my guide thought I might try the NDK Latitude. I only paddled in it for a few minutes but it felt great to me. I rolled and few times and was able to get out of it easily though I did have to rotate my hips a little due to the narrow cockpit. I'm wondering if anybody out there, especially taller folks have a Latitude?, I'm 6'2, 175lbs, 34 waist. I would love to get some input from first-hand experience with the boat. Thanks!

Edited by Bernard Moor-Jankowski
SP

I have no personal experience, but last year I talked to Chris, one of the owner's of Cohill's Inn in Lubec,  about his Latitude.  He said it was the best hull NDK has made and had  told Nigel Dennis they really got it right with the boat.   Given his experience, i would definitely trust his judgement and you might want to check with him.  I'm sure he has put it to good use,   That said, size and preferences can make comparisons hard.  I got the impression from Chris it was livelier and faster than the Explorer, but kept many of its virtues.

Ed Lawson

Interesting - I paddled with someone last weekend who found the boat very fast but not playful at all.  He was thinking about selling it and getting something more responsive.  Clearly you want to paddle it in conditions.

This is just second-hand info, but Latitude seems a crossover between the Explorer and Pilgrim Expedition. Close look reveals the hull identical to the PE, just stretched out an inch or two behind the day hatch and raised all around 1/2". That said, Mel has a PE and can make it do things that makes folks stare. She took a long time picking a rough water boat and is very happy - broke the first one, so maybe they're not as tough as they ought to be. ? (We've learned not to send her to Maine with just one NDK.)

I'm 6'1". 200# and love the Explorer; she's 5"10", her weight's TOP SECRET, and she fits the PE very well.  I recall it came down to a Cetus LV and PE, and it was a hard call, but she's happy with what she's got.  Here's a clip of her PE in a tiderace:

https://www.facebook.com/melissa.meyer.549/videos/10215953009432901/?epa=SEARCH_BOX

No maneuvering problems there...

Edited by josko