Greenhead flies

midtempo

It's that time of year!

I love salt marsh kayaking, but unfortunately the little buggers can ruin a quiet day getting joyfully lost in a creek somewhere!  We all know that the marshes of Ipswich, Essex, and the Great Marsh (Newbury, Salisbury, etc.) are infested with them for the rest of July.  I am thinking of going to the Jones River in Gloucester (by the Annisquam) as an alternative.  Are the greenheads usually there too?

Yes, why not?  However, I had only seen <one> greenhead fly this season, on the water, recently, until a couple of days ago when a big bugger tried to bite me <in my car> here in Gloucester!  Perhaps their range is increasing -- or she simply wanted to go shopping?

Thanks for the heads up folks.  I am still going, but I may cancel early if they end up really bad.  I will be mostly staying near the Long Wharf landing.  I will also use the Skin So Soft bug repellant formula, which I know Crane Beach sells to beachgoers and some people claim it works.

I just paddled there.  I can confirm that there are greenhead flies in the Jones RIver and Annisquam River areas.  Actually if you stick to those two rivers you won't encounter them.  You may encounter them if you venture into the creeks in that area.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2019 at 5:26 PM, Paul Sylvester said:

You have salt marshes, sand dunes and no Greenheads? Not sure I buy that and the jury is still out..  Need further data..

I thought Herr Hair drained the swamps and marshes.

I paddled the Ipswich marshes from Great Neck on Saturday.  On Sunday I did the Jones River again.  I can confirm that greenhead flies are practically gone.  I saw exactly one fly in Ipswich while I hung out at a stagnant pool near the end of a creek and none at the Jones.  I may have been bitten once or twice on the back and did not notice till I got home.  By the time you read this, there may be no greenhead fly activity, so don't be afraid to go into the marshes and dunes anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2019 at 12:47 PM, midtempo said:

Crane Beach says the greenheads are on decline. I am leaving now to explore the Great Marsh from the Great Neck launch in Ipswich. I will report my findings here.

Crane Beach marshes still had a very healthy population of the sky sharks as of August 3. Not sure if they are gone yet, but I hope to spend much of September in and out of there.

Doing my part to feed the starving mosquitoes. 

• 3 weeks later...

Josko - 

I frequently paddle along the coast and up the Herring River (Dennis), and when I get to the marshy section, had a bunch of green flies attack me.  They seemed particularly bad this season.    So, yup, in Cape Cod.  

[been wanting to go around Monomoy, haven't had the time to set it up]