7/10/2019 - Wednesday Lunch Paddle @ Lanesville

rylevine

Friends, Romans, Paddlers,

NSPN Wednesday Lunch Paddle #11 takes place on July 10, 2019.

Put In: Lanesville, Gloucester, MA. If driving north on Rt 127, take a left onto Duley Street right after the Lanesville Package Store, and drive down to the water. There are two put-in options in the cove that we will consider on meeting at the end of Duley Street. PM me if you need further directions.

This trip doesn't have a specific level: we'll determine the route based on who shows up, what people want to do, and what the environment wants to do. All properly equipped members are welcome: please bring rigged boats with deck lines, bulkheads, spray skirts, and dress for immersion.

Current forecast is variable winds less than 5 kt becoming SE around 6 kt in the afternoon. Sunny. Seas around 1 ft. High tide is 6:14am.

Let's meet at 10 am sharp, and ready to launch around 10.20 am. Then we'll have a beach briefing, make a plan together based on what people feel like doing, and get on the water, hopefully around 10.30 am.

NOTE: The Wednesday Lunch Paddles are cooperative adventures, not guided trips. Each participant is responsible for her/his own safety. Don’t assume the trip initiators are smarter, stronger, better at rough water, more attractive, or more skilled paddlers than you are. For more information, see this description of our trip philosophy from the NSPN web site.  A waiver/float plan will be created at the launch, so there's no need to commit in advance. It's always 100% OK to show up, decide you don't like the conditions or the trip, and opt out.

If you have any questions, or if you haven’t paddled with Bob Levine before, please get in touch with @rylevine by private message before the event so we can touch base!

If you're interested in coming, it's nice if you let us know by posting on this thread. There is no calendar entry for this particular trip. Other conversation (including stating your interest in going) can also happen on this thread.

Looking forward to seeing you there! 

Hi Everyone,

I know we will be discussing this at the launch, but wanted to express my interest in advance to get a feel for folks expectations (knowing a non-respondent to this thread might show).

I am interested in going (NE)East out of Lanes Cove, around Halibut Point to Rockport...it may be too far for folks, but I wish we could continue past Gap Head and circumnavigate Straitsmouth Island.  If not this time, maybe on another paddle, launching from from the Stone Pier in Rockport or other nearby locale and paddle that strip and continue south to Emerson Point and around Thacher Island.

Best, Sue

It's about 6 NM from Lanes Cove to Straitsmouth, and an additional 2 miles to Thacher. So, 12 to 16 miles round-trip for Sue's proposal.

I might be lured out to paddle tomorrow, but for now I'm just lurking. My preference would be to follow the coastline to Thacher, with a stop to see if the new landing ramp inside of Straitsmouth is finished.

Thanks for your input Dan.  Actually for tomorrow, I was hoping to do the turn-around with the circumnav. of Straitmouth.  The other stretch (Rockport to Thacher) was a proposal for another day, as the Lunch Paddles usually do not cover great distances.  I wanted to ask folks about their preferences in advance, as even 12 miles seems farther than previous lunch paddles...other people usually have time constraints that I do not, or are just interested in shorter paddles.  I'm always willing to go earlier and stay later than most ,and the longer distances are generally outside the 10:00 to 3:00 structure that Joe and Bob set for the lunch paddles.