Isle of Shoals trip - see new posting!

Paul Sylvester

Planning an Isle of Shoals trip from Rye NH but the date is variable as I usually make my own schedule. Plan on a weekday this July/Aug.  Leave from Rye harbor by 8:30, am back by 3-4 PM. I am looking for interest from people that are ready for a long boring crossing of 6-7 miles with time at and around the islands once there. You must be ready and well equipped for the open ocean and all that involves. There will be some vetting. Please post here or PM me if interested and which weeks or days might be best. thxs

I am interested, I have done this trip twice before and really enjoyed it, would love to do it again. A Monday or Tuesday would work for me if we are looking at weekdays. Weekend days are good too. July is getting pretty busy but August is pretty open.

I have been wanting to do this trip. A friend spends a week on Star Island every year so paddling out to say hi would be fun. I could only go after August 7, however. If this is going to be in August, I'll narrow down dates.

8/19/19 is the first day back from the Lobster Buoy Maine trip. We are both on that trip and it might be a bit much to be gone for a long weekend and then do a shoals trip. 

• 2 weeks later...

8/12/19 Isle of Shoals from Rye Harbor. BIB at 8:30 am and back by 3-4 PM. Looking for that perfect summer day and will do an alternate inland paddle if needed or delay the trip to another day. This is a level 4 trip based on the crossing and exposure. Wind, weather and swells may cancel this. We will seek to maintain up to 3.5 knots and stay as a group. Please have all safety equipment and a properly outfitted sea kayak. If I don't know you please answer a few questions: 

Have you done 2 or 3   14 mile days this season?

Have any medical concerns or liabilities that would hinder you on the crossings? 

Are you comfortable in level 4 conditions? Any ACA or BCU certs?

Capped at 8 max but dependent on other leaders signing up and the strength of the group. 

Please PM me any answers as I am vetting so we can have the best experience possible.

thxs

Edited by Paul Sylvester
max limit 8

If you are interested you need to sign up on the calendar so we have an idea on the participants and we can plan this. Looking for four minimum for safety. If this falls through I will find a Saturday or Sunday or go solo. Thanks,

On 7/4/2019 at 7:09 AM, Paul Sylvester said:

Planning an Isle of Shoals trip from Rye NH but the date is variable as I usually make my own schedule. Plan on a weekday this July/Aug.  Leave from Rye harbor by 8:30, am back by 3-4 PM. I am looking for interest from people that are ready for a long boring crossing of 6-7 miles with time at and around the islands once there. You must be ready and well equipped for the open ocean and all that involves. There will be some vetting. Please post here or PM me if interested and which weeks or days might be best. thxs

Sorry, not possible for me August 12

• 2 weeks later...

Set for Saturday 9/21/19. Leave Rye Harbor by 8:30 am. I'll put it on the calendar for sign ups. If we have not had some contact I will vet you as this is a committed trip and not to be taken lightly. As we get closer I will watch the weather and sea state and make a final determination. If we cancel I will plan a back up paddle nearby. More to follow.