Short pump

JanetL

Hello

I am searching for a short pump -- small enough that I can fit it behind the seat in my Atlantic LV. The Harmony one I have fit great in the Zephry but at 17.5 inches it doesn't fit in my newer boat.

Anyone have one that they like for this purpose?

Thanks

Janet

Janet, the pump we talked about is the Aqua-Bound BilgeMaster. They make two sizes and the shorter one, called 14", is actually 17.5" OAL. The 17" is easier to find but I found this link for the 14":

http://paddleboston-weston-ski-track.shoplightspeed.com/aquabound-bilge-master-14-kayak-pump.html

I can bring it if we paddle again soon so you can try it. Joe Berkovitz has one too and it fits behind the seat in his Cetus MV.

How about this idea?  You glue under your foredeck a "hanging" piece of (dense-core) foam (you can even buy them, pre-shaped and -cut) with a round hole in it, into which your pump slides longitudinally along the axis of your boat.  At the same time, this gives you the inverted "hump" against which your knees fit and push for rolling...

There must be plenty of photos of this arrangement online, I imagine; but you can certainly buy them, already-made, ready for the glue!

Thanks yall!

I currently have clips under the deck to which I can clip an underdeck bag; when it's there my pump slides nicely between that and the deck. But it means I am bringing that bag on every paddle, even though I don't usually need the space. I imagine a hanging piece of foam core would interfere with that, but I guess I could replace it. (But where would I store my coffee mug? ?)

I suspect the Aqua-bound is the same size as the Harmony I already have, but if I see one around I'll compare.

janet

I've been happy with this one: SeaSense Kayak Hand Pump 12-Inch with Floating Mesh Bag

Of course, smaller the size, the less volume of water exits with each pump.

(aside: Janet, I am curious about your under-deck bag though. If you're at Solstice paddle I'd love to check it out. I'm always a little nervous having anything under the deck that might interfere with an exit, but my day hatch is less than convenient. :thinking: )

David

I asked virtually the same question on paddling.com a couple days ago.  I don't know that there are more useful answers over there.  One suggestion was  to remove the loop handle and replace it with a knob and it might be short enough.  Don't know if I will try that.  I was thinking of trying putting my longervpump under the foredeck and maybe trying Velcro. 

As a matter of interest, Janet, what do you carry or keep in that under-deck bag?  Don't you have a day hatch for most articles that you might need?  I'm wondering if that bag is superfluous and, of course, your PFD should have one or two pockets built-in?

Musing aloud: I wonder why everyone is wedded to the idea of a pump: mightn't a collapsible bail be more space-saving?

BTW: When I wrote "hanging" piece of foam, I did mean that it is glued firmly in place: it is just that it is hanging down -- slightly -- between your thighs, in position to offer some purchase for bracing said thigh when you roll your boat -- example: instead of <this> arrangement, below, imagine <one> piece of foam with roughly same dimensions in overall width.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.6833a98ace2554293f23559bbf9c0299.jpg...

Edited by Pintail

Not much, Pintail ;). Generally my glasses if they are not on my face or in my PFD, and the pump. Sometimes pogies or gloves. It's a very small bag.

I unfortunately can not reliably open and close the dayhatch on that boat myself on the water - I need to work on my finger strengthening!