Upper Casco Bay: Orrs Island - Ragged Island tour Saturday June 8th

PeterB

Orrrs Island-Ragged Island and upper Casco Bay 
We have changed the date of this trip from Saturday June 9th  to Sunday June 8th.  New launch time will be discussed. 
I'd like to amble and explore the area of ledges and small islands in the part of  NE Casco Bay  between the Orrs/Bailey Island Peninsula and the  Cape Small Headland. This seems to be  a rarely visited area, an open bay at the extreme northern end of Casco Bay , a patchwork of ledges and small islands with Ragged Island as the focus. (I began to study this area as Ragged Island was the summer home of Edna Saint Vincent Millay until @ 1950)   
Launch from H20/ Orrs Island  at  10:45.  and hop from island to island , ledge to ledge with Ragged Island the anchor of the trip, probably a counter  clockwise tour with a return along the northern coastline. High Tide is 4PM , so there will be a rising tde for much of the trip.  The trip will involve a series of mini- crossings from 1/2 nm to  1 nm , and the  ideal sea state for this trip would be on the mild side: if seas are  greater than  2-3 feet and winds greater than 10 kt ,  the  route the can seek the more protected waters of Quahog Bay and the inlets and ledges to the north hugging Sebascodegan Island. Trip will be canceled if there is a small craft advisory. 

Drysuits are required to highly recommended, as the water temps (still not over 50 degrees )  seem to be  a bit on the cold side for this time of year.  
If you are interested in joining me, rsvp ("I'm going" ) on the calendar posting or PM me (PeterB)  and we can communicate  by PM in advance of the trip . 

1453240909_RaggedIslandJune9.thumb.jpg.e602bddf6969ad3da97d0289699a502a.jpg    

Edited by PeterB

• PeterB changed the title to Upper Casco Bay: Orrs Island - Ragged Island tour Sunday June 9th

I wish I lived closer so I could join you. It is too far for a day-trip for me. I did paddle in that area once a long time ago. I paddled from the crib bridge to Hemit Island Campground via Elm, Flag and Wood Islands. It was a nice trip across the bay with big swells coming in. I hope you'll post a trip report. I'll be in that area in July and will be looking for paddling routes/ideas.

-Nancy