5/15/2019: Wed Lunch Paddle III

Joseph Berkovitz

The third Wednesday Lunch Paddle took place on May 15th in Marblehead.

Route: Riverhead -> Gerry I. -> MHD Light -> Browns I. (lunch) -> Riverhead
Track: https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/track/3e73686e977336a3a2d84b493bee24a1/?layer=gaianoaarnc
Distance: about 6 nm
Conditions: overcast, air 45 F, water 50 F, wind W 10 kt, seas 3-4' @ 9 s
People: me, Bob Levine, Prudence Baxter, Jeff Charette, Jim Snyder, Steve Chard (visitor)
Tides: HT - 8:59a (9.8'); LT - 3:07p (-0.4')

We were accompanied at the launch by Steve Chard from Dorset, England who is paddling the "Great Loop" of the US East Coast and was on his way to Beverly.

10.20a: Following a short debate on what day of the week it was – we found the title of the paddle to be a good mnemonic – we launched from Riverhead Beach in Marblehead. Some long-period swell apparent even at the outset in the form of more activity than usual at the far end of the harbor. Brisk WNW wind at times, but good lee from the Marblehead mainland.

10.50a: At Fort Beach, the wave activity was much more tangible. Some of us played in the rocks a bit. Bob and I determined that it would be a good idea for Bob to accompany Steve Chard in his heavily loaded boat to Beverly or Manchester in person given the sea conditions, so he took off with Steve while I remained with the NSPN group.

11.00a: This was Prudence's first launch following her wrist fracture so we wanted to stay sensitive to what it might be doing. As it turned out, she was feeling good and after making our way past the tip of Gerry Island we decided to traverse the harbor and head over to the point of the Neck, then return to Browns for lunch.

11.20a: Turn around at the NE corner of Marblehead Neck, and begin heading back to Gerry. Nice long 2' swells hitting the rocks; some played, some did not.

12.00p-12.40p: Lunch on the beach at Browns, in a reasonably wind sheltered spot. The entire point of a lunch paddle is, after all, to have lunch somewhere!

1.40p: Return to Riverhead Beach after a pleasing traversal of the outside of Browns, a flyby of Gerry where the Trustees of Reservations had a cleanup crew working, and then a journey along the cliffs of the harbor back to our launch/landing point.

Thanks everyone for a great time!

It was a fun day!  Thanks to all who participated for their willingness to put aside any greater ambitions in order for me to test out my wrist, newly declared good to go by both PT and hand surgeon.  But both added,  "But don't overdo it!"  I appreciate that the group didn't and we still managed to have a lovely day on mildly lively water.

Thanks, Joe, Bob, Jim and Jeff!

Prudence

Thanks for the report and pictures. These Wed paddles are working out well! Thanks to Joe for starting them (inspired by a similar BASK program around San Francisco). I'm attaching my addendum for the side trip to Manchester Harbor. Joe and I have been accumulating trip reports to eventually enter into a catalog of rock gardens for kayakers, hence the discussion of the Ram ledges. People are welcome to send us their experiences on New England gardens and ledges for the manual.

One thing we've noticed is the magnification of swell on the south east side of Great Misery and then into the Gut. This direction points outward to the open ocean and there is a possible concentration from wrapping around Whaleback. There could also be a sharp 30 foot ledge, but that condition exists elsewhere. Another area of anomalous swell enhancement is between Marblehead Rock and Neck. Anyway, looking forward to this week's Wed mid-day paddle! - Bob

Trip Report 5_15_2019 Riverhead to Manchester Harbor.pdf