A few updates from Pinniped Kayak

Hello Paddlers, 
I thought I'd share with you a short essay on where we find our motivations, and how important those are to both enjoyment and performance.  

First, a couple quick reminders of some upcoming events at Pinniped Kayak:  WW for Sea Kayakers in a few weeks; ACA L3 Instructor Training next month;  and more of those awesome 3-day Paddling Development Intensives, around lovely Acadia National Park - with a day on the coast, a day getting to know rocks, and a day at Sullivan Falls!  

Finally, I work more closely each year with a small handful of students, in a Long-Term Student coaching relationship.  I have room for one or two more at this point for 2019.  If you're interested in learning more, please let me know.  

Enjoy your spring!  Hope to see you on the water.- Nate

"WHY AM I DOING THIS??"  (A SPRINGTIME REFLECTION FROM PINNIPED KAYAK)

NateHanson_BakerIsland_FrankPostma.JPG

Getting lost is more than just a navigational problem for kayakers. If our mind isn’t focused on what motivates us, this whole kayaking thing can feel a bit pointless.

This spring I’ve had a few people confide in me that after many years of kayaking, they’ve found themselves in the midst of a kayaker’s existential crisis - some variation of “What am I doing this for?” After kayaking for decades in some cases, routines can become a bit stale; initially thrilling rates of skills development can plateau; once lofty goals may look quite a bit smaller in the rear-view mirror; and sometimes the wake of our friends’ ambitions may have drawn us along on daliances that were more of a shrug than an enthusiastic nod. We may have lost sight of our goals, or simply moved past them. Whatever the cause, when we’re not in touch with what motivates us we suffer a double-whammy effect. We feel less enthusiastic about paddling, and - because state of mind has enormous effects on technical performance - we actually get worse at doing it! (click to continue reading)