5/1 - Wednesday Lunch Paddle @ Lanes Cove

Joseph Berkovitz

Hi NSPNsters,

This post announces the inaugural Wednesday Lunch Paddle, on May 1 (three days from now). Bob and I are super excited to get this weekly event off the ground!

This first paddle is all about having some fun on the water and learning how this event will work. To ensure some lee from the expected NE/SE wind, we will be meeting at Lanes Cove in Gloucester at 10 am sharp, directly off of Route 127. Let's meet up and park on the Duley Street side, NOT the Andrews Street side. Here is a Google Maps link and a picture:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Duley+St,+Gloucester,+MA+01930/@42.6785096,-70.6608169,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x89e32667cb414963:0xdda732aefcfee3e5!8m2!3d42.6785057!4d-70.6586282

image.png.210a153aa985ac4ac6f58afa4d39e385.png

Let's meet at 10 am sharp, and ready to launch around 10.20 am. Then we'll have a beach briefing, make a plan together based on what people feel like doing, and get on the water, hopefully around 10.30 am.  Please respect the group's time. We're not meanies, but if you show up late, the trip may launch without you.

We have good lunch spot choices and fun paddles in either direction: Folly Cove to the north, or Annisquam Light to the south. Depending on the group's desires, we can go further too.

Predictions are for light NE wind shifting to stronger SE wind 10+ kt, cloudy w/ poss. showers, air temp mid 40s F, water temp ~45 F, waves 1-2 ft.

Lobster Cove tides: HW: 9.52a; LW: 3.53p. If we go south towards the Annisquam River there will be some ebb to play with, possibly even surf at the outlet if conditions are right.

NOTE: The Wednesday Lunch Paddles are cooperative adventures, not guided trips. Each participant is responsible for her/his own safety. Don’t assume the trip initiators are smarter, stronger, better at rough water, more attractive, or more skilled paddlers than you are. For more information, see this description of our trip philosophy from the NSPN web site. It's always 100% OK to show up, decide you don't like the conditions or the trip, and opt out.

If you have any questions, or if you haven’t paddled with Bob Levine or myself before, please get in touch with @rylevine or @Joseph Berkovitz by private message before the event.

There is not going to be a special PM thread or RSVP calendar entry for this trip. Other conversation (including stating your interest in going) can happen on this thread right here. A waiver/float plan will be created at the launch.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Sure wish I could join in. I teach Wednesday till noon, but am free after that, generally. Any chance you might try a later start (say 1 PM--a late lunch) one of these Wednesdays? May 8 or May 22 would be ideal!  Thanks for considering, and have fun tomorrow!

Sure wish I could attend. Working all day. Have future flexible schedule for next paddle. Sounds like a great site and trip location. Everyone have fun. I look forward to joining next one. Cheers. TOM 

• 3 weeks later...