Saddleback Island Retreat , Stonington , Maine , July 19-22 , 2019

PeterB

Saddleback Island Retreat: Stonington, Maine. July 19-22
 Note: Trip is now full, and there is a wait list. Please contact PeterB by PM if you are interested in this trip. You can then be updated by PM.  
This will be the 5thNSPN midsummer  retreat to Saddleback Island in the Stonington Archipelago.  We have reserved the Saddleback Cabin from the Maine Coast Heritage Trust for the nights of July 19 to July 21.
Saddleback will be our base camp;  a wonderful rustic cabin equipped with bunkbeds , kitchen, fireplace, gas stove and kitchen wares; there is also a  privy.  This area with its innumerable islands  is generally agreed to be one of the best paddling destinations anywhere on the East coast. 

The plan will be to launch  from Old Quarry Adventures Campground on Friday midday /early afternoon  for a  protected paddle of 2.5 nm  to Saddleback Island,  with day trips (probably one to two groups depending on weather conditions and group preferences) on Saturday and Sunday, returning  to Old Quarry on midday Sunday for the drive home . 

466549829_Stonington.thumb.jpg.0e4f07788c691ae35d54147e9fa7971f.jpg

There is also the option to launch from Nauskeag.  This is a 5.25 nm paddle. There is a parking fee and showers  at Old Quarry: no parking fee at Wooden Boat, but a longer more challenging  paddle.   

This will be a trip for levels 2-4, and a level 2-friendly trip!  On past trips our  paddling options have ranged from very mellow rambling amongst the chain of islands in the archipelago , to a grand circumnavigation of Isle au Haut. So this trip is fit for L2  to intermediate to advanced paddlers. Requirements for this trip are to be well equipped with paddling gear for midsummer (boat, pfd, a wetsuit or wetsuit pants with drytop, etc: some prefer drysuits  ) and to bring food and water and personal effects for the weekend.  

Water temperatures are in the 50’s ,  air temperatures are in the 70’s-80”s. Weather is variable, from perfect sunny midsummer weather to rain, wind,  and fog. Fog is likely at some time or other, and part of the trip may involve navigating  and prudent paddling in the fog,  in which case there will be someone to lead any group of paddlers inexperienced or uncomfortable paddling in the fog.   
Trip limit is 6. 
The cabin accommodates 6 persons, in accordance with the rules set by MCHT.  A fee of $87.50  paid in advance reserves your spot on this trip
.  The cabin has been reserved for $525 (that’s $175 a night) so the six participants   share in these expenses.
Please RSVP (I'm going') along with your payment in the calendar posting on July 19th
In the month before the event,  when a group has been set
we will communicate by group PM to plan details for the trip    
779479317_4cabininterior.jpg.be1ddfeecd5448c5a30e3a90b33ad630.jpg108416957_13Yongandboulders.jpg.5e43fea06a9f5eb429aa1a10424a5e22.jpgDSCF4192.jpg.81db0c1c0ce69077715140a0ce0efe2f.jpg1272054290_Fog4.thumb.jpg.e8ccc3f3d75e73e0f8a7f80de68f610b.jpg1660560398_11lunchatSteves.jpg.24d7130b20b637b6b9ef98a8001fb761.jpg
The cabin has a bunk beds, a kitchen with gas stove, and kitchenwares, and an outhouse/privy. 
Trip members must bring their own water, food and personal effects (sleeping bag etc) There is a camp cooler there for food storage. 
Looking forward to  great paddling in a great location! 

Edited by PeterB

I’m going. I just sent you the dough via PayPal. 

Eager to see you all and paddle together. 

John

PeterB, I am going to try to get that weekend <off>, so (tentatively), will you please keep one place open for moi-meme?  It is high-time...

(Forgive me: I cannot remember the correct alternate for typing the circumflex in "meme"!)

Edited by Pintail

Christopher et al
 It looks like the cabin is  full already, so there is now a wait list.   But It is possibe that another NSPN  group may be staying at the primitive campsite site on Saddleback island at the same time  The camping group would be semi autonomous, use the campsite and  provide water, food  and Leave no trace  (carry out  waste)  for themselves, in accordance with MCHT island use guidelines. (the main thing is that the island privy use needs to be managed)  but we could paddle, and perhaps  eat  and hang out together . We  can all  communicate between now and then about the whole weekend. 

Edited by PeterB

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested in the campsite option as well, is there a signup for it? Do we need to reserve the site ahead of time, or just plan on coming? According to the Maine Coast Heritage Trust site, groups of 6 or more have to call ahead 207 729 7366

Edited by BethS

Beth et al, 

If you are  definitely planning on camping at the Saddleback campsite, please rsvp on the calendar posting  this trip, so that we'll be able to have a list of the total  number of paddlers in the area for the weekend  , and communicate in the weeks beforehand. 
The Saddleback campsite is also a Maine Coast Heritage trust site; there is a limit of 5 campers. (6 or more by permissoin only) There is no fee for the campsite. 
Campsite users will be autonomous, meaning responsible for their own food and a water, and must pack out their  waste. It is important that campers not use  the island privy as the cabin limit was lowered to 6 persons  largely because of privy use/overuse. 
Otherwise, we can paddle together , hang out together or intersect when it makes sense to do so. 

• Camp At Established Campsites Only
    • Limit Stay to 2 Nights
    • Groups of 6 or More and Commercial Users by Permission Only. Please call 207-729-7366.
  • Fires by Permit Only - Maine State Law.
    • Contact Maine Forest Service at 207-827-1800 for Permit.
    • Keep All fires Below High Tide Line
    • Do Not Cut or Break Tree Limbs, Dead or Alive
    • Leave No Fire Unattended
    • Completely Extinguish All Fires
  • Please Respect Privacy of People Using the Cabin
  • Foot Traffic Only
  • Carry Out All Trash

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm sorry to miss this trip with you all.  I love Saddleback.  I have my yearly family extravaganza at the cape that week.  Have a great time. 

Karen