Dan's stuff to borrow or try (Stow, MA)

Free / Pass it Forward:

Books: The Complete Book of Sea Kayaking by Derek Hutchinson. A Women's Guide to Sea Kayaking.

DVDs: This is the Sea #5, Kayaking the Aleutians

Magazines: 20 issues of Ocean Paddler

Stuff To Borrow (30 days):

Books on navigation: Fundamentals of Kayak Navigation, Simple Kayak Navigation, NOAA Chart #1 (chart symbols), Emergency Navigation by Burch, The Lost Art of Finding our Way by John Huth

Guidebooks: [lots of books on flatwater kayaking and canoeing in New England, bike paths, day hikes in MA...], Connecticut River boating guide, Acadia National Park.

Trip Leadership: AMC Guide to Outdoor Leadership, AMC Mountain Leadership School handbook

Astronomy: Planisphere (star finder). Hoping to have a sextant to lend at some point.

Try My Gear: (in-person demos on Walden Pond, Stow area rivers, or on an NSPN paddle)

Wilderness Systems Tempest 170

Necky Chatham 16

2-pc Werner Ikelos 215 paddle

2-pc Werner Shuna 215 paddle

Gearlab AKIAK (shoulderless) paddle

Tarptent Protrail ultra-light backpacking tent (to view and discuss pros and cons)

I have an extra stand-up paddleboard if you'd like to give it a try during a Walden session.

I have a Garmin inReach Explorer+ GPS with satellite messaging for my own solo adventures. Contact me with your trip plans and dates if you're interested in borrowing it for an expedition or to talk about pros and cons of PLBs.

Skills and Services:

I can help you create custom charts with magnetic north lines for your NSPN trips.

I'm always happy to help with navigation or map and compass skills.

Local knowledge:

Assabet, Sudbury, Concord, Nashua rivers. Walden pond area. Boston Harbor Islands.