Mitts/Gloves for Spring/Fall

Ken

I'm going to need some better mitts or gloves for Spring and fall.  Assuming I have some very lightweight neoprene gloves for slightly cool weather and I'm skiing Dec-Mar, can anyone recommend the type of weight I'd need around here in April/May and Oct/early Nov?

-Ken

Often don't need anything in the months mentioned but always good to have in the event it feels cold. Pogies are the best for me as I don't like anything on my hands as none fit and all feel tight. 

I'm with Paul on the glove question - I use pogies far more frequently than gloves as they provide bare-handed comfort and control over the paddle. Even in cold temperatures a pogie acts like a big mitten and your hand gets quite warm inside even without gloves.

That said, I do carry gloves with me because sometimes, especially when launching after a break, my hands do get very cold. And in April or May, the water is still so cold that gloves become a safety measure against one's hands becoming numb and useless during a swim. I use 2 mm neoprene NRS Maverick gloves. Lighter than that, there's little protection from immersion in icy water. Heavier than that, dexterity is lost.

I prefer dry gloves with wool liners. You can either buy commercial dry gloves (typically based on Atlas shells) or add your own seals and liners to Atlas shell gloves (which is what I do now). The blue (double-dipped) Atlas gloves seem to be the most popular, but I prefer the orange (triple-dipped) gloves for increased durability. You can buy Atlas gloves dirt cheap online or through local marine suppliers.

18 hours ago, Brian Nystrom said:

I prefer dry gloves with wool liners. You can either buy commercial dry gloves (typically based on Atlas shells) or add your own seals and liners to Atlas shell gloves (which is what I do now). The blue (double-dipped) Atlas gloves seem to be the most popular, but I prefer the orange (triple-dipped) gloves for increased durability. You can buy Atlas gloves dirt cheap online or through local marine suppliers.

That's kinda interesting.  Back in the 80s I was big into windsurfing and hated neoprene gloves as they made the boom grip thicker and my hands got tired much more easily.  A bunch of us just ended up using regular rubber dishwashing gloves.  Didn't try to keep totally dry, just keep the wind off so either tuck into wetsuit cuff or use a few rubber bands around the wrists.

Is there a tutorial online anywhere for how to make the seals?

I just use commercially available latex wrist seals, the same as I use on my dry suit. They're glued on in the same manner.

When sourcing Atlas gloves, you may find them with attached liners. They're easy to remove and replace. As I mentioned, I like to use wool liners and I typically carry a spare pair two switch to when the first pair gets damp.

4 hours ago, Brian Nystrom said:

I just use commercially available latex wrist seals, the same as I use on my dry suit. They're glued on in the same manner.

When sourcing Atlas gloves, you may find them with attached liners. They're easy to remove and replace. As I mentioned, I like to use wool liners and I typically carry a spare pair two switch to when the first pair gets damp.

Sounds like a fun project but when done buying the gloves, seals, and adhesive, not much cheaper.  But then you get want and it makes fun to build yourself.

I haven't looked into commercial dry gloves in quite a while, but there used to be a pretty substantial price difference, as the Atlas gloves are dirt cheap. Nobody was using the orange gloves the last time that I looked. If you have a dry suit, you'll probably need the seal cement at some point to replace worn out wrist or neck seals.

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have any pics of the gloves I made.

Here's a post I made on Paddling.com several years ago, that contains more details about the gloves.

Typically, I wear neoprene down to ~50 degrees, then switch over to dry gloves. Although I have Nordic Blues, I don't use them anymore. I made my own dry gloves using the orange Atlas gloves (#460 or #465) commonly sold by marine suppliers and OS Systems wrist seals. They're similar to Nordic Blues, which use a thicker Atlas glove, (#490 or #495) but more flexible, providing a better feel and reducing hand fatigue. I use either the stock liners or Smartwool liners, with the cuffs cut off both to make them easier to put on.

I apparently had the orange and blue gloves confused in my post from yesterday. I use the orange gloves (double-dipped) for greater dexterity. I must be getting old...?

On 3/22/2019 at 2:38 PM, Brian Nystrom said:

Here's a post I made on Paddling.com several years ago, that contains more details about the gloves.

I apparently had the orange and blue gloves confused in my post from yesterday. I use the orange gloves (double-dipped) for greater dexterity. I must be getting old...?

I found this video on making drive gloves from Showa 660s; of course it's in some germanic/norse language I don't understand.  But the the visual are good.  What I don't know is what kid of glue, whether any flexible contact cement, like Household Goop, work or something specific like Aquaseal.  The video also compared conical seals and bottle-shaped seals but not understanding the audio, I don't know if both or jut on of the two Ismail recommended.

Edited by Ken

I typically purchase glue from the same source as the seals (www.ossystems.com/maintenance-repair/drysuit-seals/), but Aquaseal or Goop should work. I wouldn't use contact cement for this particular application.

I just looked on their site and the DLS-2 wrist seals aren't in the price list. If you click on the little "Add" button in the listing, they'll be added to your cart at $33/pair. You may want to call them, just to make sure that they're in stock. They list neoprene wrist seals, but I didn't see any pics of them.