Bold Coast / Cobscook Paddle 2019

Joseph Berkovitz

This trip will visit one of the most dramatic coastlines in the world, Maine's Bold Coast. It will take place over a long weekend from Friday August 2 to Monday August 5. Bob Levine and I are the trip organizers.

Ranging from Machias Bay to Lubec and beyond to Canada's Campobello Island, the Bold Coast is a largely undeveloped and wild region with lots of dramatic cliffs and rocks, 25+ foot tidal ranges, strong currents and amazing wildlife (we paddled next to whales last year). Take a look at 2018's Bold Coast trip report for a sense of what it can be like.

Paddlers joining this trip should be comfortable with:

- Daily trips of 12-15 miles, with limited bailout options. Much of the Bold Coast is roadless wilderness with high oceanfront cliffs.
- Recognizing and responding to strong currents (> 4 kt) and turbulent eddy lines
- Cold water, often in the low 50s even in summer, with air temps often in 60s. A drysuit is essential some days
- Rough water conditions from wave reflection off rocks, weather, and current/wind interaction

If you're not sure if the trip is for you, PM me and/or rylevine (Bob Levine) and we can talk about it.

As it was last year, the plan for this trip is to section-paddle various portions of the Bold Coast, Campobello Island and Cobscook Bay, adjusting the plan for conditions, interest and level of challenge. Each day we will choose from various out-and-back or shuttle adventures and have a lot of freedom with the length and nature of the paddles. During this weekend, high tide will mostly occur around midday. (Note: we will not be attempting to run the whole Bold Coast in a single tide cycle, as some trips have done.)

Despite the challenging waters, we want to be safe! Each day we'll evaluate our options carefully. There are a wide range of locations to choose from, and directions in which to go. And if conditions are just too bad to paddle, there is really great hiking in the area.

NOTE: We will be paddling in Canada, so make sure you bring a valid passport!

Home base for this adventure is the Sunset Point RV Park in Lubec, which is a very clean and well-run campsite. It's not all RV's -- actually, the area reserved for tents is a lovely grassy headland that juts out into Johnson Bay, with its own little pavilion. Showers are free with unlimited hot water and if you care, there is free Internet at the office. And the campground has its own boat ramp for launching directly into an arm of Cobscook Bay. 

In terms of logistics, plan for 6-7 hours of road travel to reach the Bold Coast from the Boston area. The campsite is reserved starting Thursday 8/1, so that everyone can come up on Thursday and we can hang out together and do some planning before getting a good night's rest. Checkout is Tuesday 8/6.  It's OK to come late or leave early, just work it out with us up front.

We're limiting the trip to 8 people. Each person's share of the campsite rental will run to $56.25. There's no deposit needed so you can just bring cash on the trip.

Up for this? Please RSVP to the calendar invite and we'll take it from there! 

Edited by Joseph Berkovitz

Please wait list me.  I may be optioning for the hikes versus paddling based on the conditions.

Thanks,

Romaine

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Joe,

Turns out I have to be in Sweden for a week that overlaps this trip so I am giving up my spot.. Am quite disappointed but maybe I will get a chance to paddle in Stockholm.

Have a great trip.

Peter