NDK Explorer Kayaks

pitt16

G’day. I am in the market for an Explorer kayak. During my searches I’ve noticed that most NDK Explorers are 2010-12 models. I’m wondering for those who have experience with these kayaks what, if any, differences are there with the older models compared to the recent models. I’ve read articles pertaining to poor quality control issues on some of the earlier Explorers, but as far as length/width, cockpit dimensions, etc....I’ve read nothing that changes this kayak significantly.....Thanks for your time if you can offer me some assistance with this matter....

I have a '98 that I love. The only downside is that it's the heaviest boat I've ever put on my shoulder. I've lifted other ones that age that weren't nearly so heavy. I saw this one on CL recently:

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/boa/d/guilford-fiberglass-ndk-explorer-sea/6841414797.html

I have an older Explorer LT (bought used in 2010, don't know the age). Agree it is one heavy boat. The only design change I'm aware of is that newer boats use a different skeg system. Which IMO is a good move, as the old one requires a lot of babying to remain functional, and jams easily. I suspect that this boat will last longer than I will....

2010 - 2012 Explorers don't really qualify as old models - I had a 1996 "Romany Explorer" (bought new) up until last year when the weight (70 lbs+ with the keel strip, etc. I added) just got to be too much.  

• Fun fact:  I got a kick when a younger paddler asked me if I had photoshopped the name decal on the boat - he'd only ever seen Romany and Explorer as separate names - in 1996 there was the Romany and the Romany Explorer.

The basic hull and cockpit have remained unchanged.  The skeg has changed a couple of times - oldest models had an external skeg control line (not cable) that ran along the deck and down to the skeg.  The skeg bungee was also externally accessible.  I still think it was a great approach - simple, straight forward and it made the entire skeg mechanism was field repairable.  

There are now HV and LV versions which do vary slightly in length, width and depth.

They are heavy lay ups, even now.  Which makes sense if you've ever seen what's considered a "sand" beach in the UK.  I loved mine because it didn't need any babying - made a great ice breaker. 

If you're looking for a new boat, we've got a couple at the shop (Newbury Kayak and Canoe) (and a 3 piece take apart model on display).  We don't have any used boats in stock, but there are other shops around that do as well as private sellers.