6th Annual Downeast Retreat, Bar Harbor, ME September 6-9,2019

PeterB

Sixth Annual NSPN Downeast  Retreat, Bar Harbor, ME September 6-9, 2019

Initiator: Peter Brady
Please come paddle in Bar Harbor for what will be sixth  Downeast Paddle Retreat for NSPN!

This 4 day event will be from Friday Sept. 6th to Monday Sept.9th, spanning the weekend after Labor Day, with group paddles each day on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and shorter trip or trips on Monday  winding down midday or early afternoon.  Since this retreat has been a success for five years running - it's a perfect location to paddle at a perfect time of year (and with a perfect group of paddlers!) - it will be run on a roughly similar schedule as in past years.  
Most people travel & arrive on Thursday and depart on Monday afternoon though you are of course free to arrive and leave earlier or later. 

Our base of operations will be at Llangolan Inn and Cottages on Rte 3 near Hadley Point , on the north side of the island between the Narrows and Bar Harbor. 
A good number of NSPNers are already reserved there , and we can gather there the monings before paddling and in the evening after. 

Each day we will have organized paddles (likely two or three) around Mount Desert Island, based on weather and conditions that day. We have a menu of trips suited to this area, , and can meet at Llangolan every morning and around dinner time to create and confirm paddling plans for each day. 

Some favorite destinations are: the Porcupine Islands off of Bar Harbor in Frenchmans Bay, the Cranberry Islands on the south side of MDI, Bartlett Island and Sound on the West Side, and the dramatic eastern shore of the island.   In the last couple of years our variety of trips expanded  further into Blue Hill Bay and Somes Sound, and  new ideas are always welcome

5ad10d72e9c78_580021a86d5f8_MountDesertIslandIntro.thumb.jpg.6b72a09db579a2ef46338b8dc36c2372copy.jpg.676cd9f333df72cd6a6f058e73428e21.jpg.b37b41f8032f83ba7182beb9c927328a.jpg

Accommodations and food are on your own. Most people do some mix of dining out around the Island or dining in at Llangolan ( the cottages have kitchenettes) 

Note: it is past Labor Day but still tourist season in the area, so it would be advised to make plans for accommodations well in advance. 

Recommended lodging: 

Llangolan Inn & Cottages :  Our base of operations and gathering spot. The  8 bungalows are likely  already reserved by NSPNers, but there may be rooms in the main Inn.

Hadley Point Campground: for those who prefer to camp, this campground is adjacent to Llangolan on Hadley Point Road

Robbins Motel: not far from Llangolan on Rte 3 for those looking for the most economical no-frills lodging on the island.

Eden Village: A cottage resort similar to Llangolan, a short ways away on Rte 3.

Trenton & (off the Island): Just across the bridge to Mount Desert Island, towards Trenton & Ellsworth, there are cottages and motels that are  probably less pricey than on Mt. Desert Island. 

There are many other options for lodging in the area, including fine ( but less  conveniently located) campgrounds and cheaper motels off of MDI between 

General Schedule 

Thursday evening : many folks arrive in Bar Harbor,and we will have a meet & greet  gathering at LLangolan with some potluck food  snacks  or pizza, discuss and plan the first day's padding oprtions.
Friday: evening on your own: there will likely be a BYOL (bring your own lobster!)  informal  cookout  gathering at LLangolan. 
Saturday: our official potluck dinner in the barn (made available by our gracious hosts)  behind LLangolan.
Sunday:  food on your own: 
Monday: a shorter at Long Pond, where  we can paddle, pracise skills or rolling, wash off gear, and   people can come and go
as they please. 

This is a rain or shine event! This event has been a success because there is fine paddling to be had somewhere around the island in all but very harsh conditions, and if the weather is too crummy to paddle anywhere on the ocean we can paddle the inland ponds and lakes like Long Pond or Eagle Lake, or explore & hike Acadia National Park,  or play tourist around Bar Harbor. Some people have taken a day off from paddling to  hike or explore Mount Desert Island, and there might well be an organized hike or two  mixed into the festivities.

if you are interested in attending, please RSVP (" I’m going") in the calendar posting on Sept.6th  , a Group PM  with all of participants will get going in the coming months  months,  f or information sharing,  planning and communication in advance of the event.
If you have any questions: contact  Peter Brady   (PeterB on the message board )  or  by PM 

275593049_Downeastphoto1.jpg.36c5c6c07a6819bcfe180acd74d05fde.jpg463544197_DowneastPhoto2.jpg.a1b72e85151a240612c384e1b5020fba.jpg590005284_DowneastPhoto4.jpg.544b75d1fd0bc3907e5223e65b8cfe55.jpg464273279_DowneastPhoto5.jpg.5302388216d4d259ddacb9fc683dcc9e.jpg632217020_DowneastPhoto6.jpg.9ce837d32bcb86c4872ec4b8db4bf977.jpg1432747377_DowneastPhoto7.jpg.37bfd45a16c0d5fe2a02973c6e833167.jpg

Edited by PeterB

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is an update on the Downeast Retreat, which is now 4 weeks away (!)   :  at this time  22 people are RSVP'd and listed  as attending, and all are part of a group PM where we are sharing pre-trip information.

If you are planning to attend,  it's important that you RSVP (" I'm going')  in the calendar posting (Sept. 6th)  asap. You will then be  part of our group PM thread and  be able to update your information (when arriving, when departing etc) on a google spreadsheet that we are all sharing.
With over 20 people we may have 2-4 trips each day,  each day's paddles will be planned at fairly short notice so that we may have the best  marine weather information on  which to plan our paddles, so the more information we all share, especially our contact information, the better. 

Thanks!

Peter      

Edited by PeterB

Hi All,

Other than this Tuesday at Walden Pond where I met a couple of members, this trip will be my first trip with NSPN. My husband is coming with me, but will not be paddling. He may do a hiking trip with us if it does not involve paddling. We also may also bring bicycles.  I love Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor, but have not been there recently except for a brief family wedding in Bar Harbor. I have never paddled there.

I am a level II or II+ paddler at least according to Appalachian Mnt Club standards where I have done most of my Sea Kayaking over the last 3 years. I have a room booked at the Inn from Thursday night through Tuesday. I don't know quite what to expect or know which paddles are appropriate for me. Any suggestions on how to get connected, find out the options, and make good paddling choices for myself once I am there? 

I am excited about the trip and looking forward to visiting the Island again, and to paddling with this group?

Thanks, all

Patricia McCauley

Welcome, Patricia!

You’ll meet everyone when you arrive since we have essentially taken over The whole inn.  Every day, we meet and make decisions on several different paddles depending on peoples’ wishes and skills.   Thursday nite we’ll be discussing it, too.  Everything is also very weather and condition dependent. You’ll be able to talk to folks when you get there and find what makes most sense for you.  Everyone will do their best to help ensure that you have a good, fun and safe experience!

Prudence

Patricia, Thanks for sharing your info: The Mount Desert Island area is  a great for paddling at a wide variety of  levels . There are four sides to the island, almost always an area protected from the weather and conditions,  and we can select the paddling  areas each day best suited to participants.  In addition , there are  some very protected bays, sounds, and also  lovely  inland ponds to paddle on.  With20 + people, there will almost certainly be several trips per day so that people of all comfort levels may be accommodated, even on days with not-so=good weather and conditions.  Monday, the last day  we'll have a Long Pond  practice , skills and fun session, designed for people to hit the road in the afternoon, wash off, or  just  chill  after 3 days of paddling.    

Peter  

• 2 weeks later...