Swim & Fin 2019

Sue H.

Yes. There are three races, short, medium, and really long. The first race or two only need a couple of volunteers as the course is really short. The third race is much longer and way more spread out. VHF radio experience is helpful!

Responsibilities  of volunteers are:

- Be a support platform for a swimmer that needs it until an official safety boat can come around and pick them up. 

- Try to keep swimmers on course since they tend to loose track of where they are. If they turn at the wrong buoy, they could be disqualified. 

- Track and shadow the last remaining swimmers and send them to shore if the race officials require. 

It is a lot of sitting around doing nothing for several hours, with a moment or two of activity for a a few volunteers.

if I can find a copy of the race layout, I will post it. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Thanks Rob, I am hoping to be away for the first 3 weeks of August, stitching trips together.  However, if that doesn't work out, I would like to support this event.

Here is the course map:

Salem Swim and Fin Course Map.jpg

As you can see, it would be helpful to have a waterproof copy to help keep track.  The biggest issue we countered is swimmers not turning at the proper buoys, which will disqualify them if they don't fix there course to go around the red corner buoy.  Positioning boaters to "remind" swimmers where they should be going could be helpful.  Particularly the 5K swimmers tend to want to turn at the green buoy, but need to continue on to the red corner buoy in order to avoid disqualification.

This was the planned schedule from a number of years go, however I believe they changed the race order so that the 5K didn't start until the 1 mile had cleared their second corner:

10:30

Kayakers arrive PCYC

11:00

Kayakers depart PCYC

11:15

Swimmers race meeting at Forest River Park

11:30

Kayakers on course

Welcome speech, national anthem

11:45

500 meter start

12:00