Pogies

Jim Snyder

Jim,

A few of us did a group purchase on these for an extended chilly weather trip and were pretty pleased.  https://www.outdoorplay.com/Snap-Dragon-Hot-Hands-Kayaking-Pogie?gclid=CjwKCAiA2fjjBRAjEiwAuewS_ZnahXsK1XP9FbSOGcCpqFWWPheUVhiD8MAw5ay_OBX5a4rMgjn8wBoCIdUQAvD_BwE

I've tried the Gore Tex soft style but found them tough to get the last hand into.  

G’day Jim, I purchased a pair of NRS Mamba’s. I’m sure many other pogies brands are efficient ,but I noticed that the Mamba’s are 5mm thick while the others are 2.5–to 3mm thick. I used the NSR pogies on a late November paddle and once again on a New Year’s day paddle on Lake George and my hands/fingers were toasty. 

Your question was for pogis that I didn't like.  The 4-6mm neoprene style were heavy and bulky.  My preference is the Kokatat Paddle Mitts fabric pogis that weigh basically nothing, back of hand fleece lined and wrap out of the way to the paddle shaft center when not needed.  Hence, I stock them at The River Connection. YMMV 

kayak_mitt-light_gray-front_grande.jpg

Hi Marshall..

After some thought and reading an archived post started by Cathy, I'm thinking that if it's cold enough that you need pogies and if it's conditional enough that you might get wet, you don't want to have your hands come out of the pogies and be bare and you can't think about anything else. So I think I want a combination of xxl glove that fits into a pogie. Marshal, how roomy are the Kokatats?

Hi Jim,

Along that line of thinking you are leaving the Pogi and Glove behind and going to a mitt like the Kokatat Inferno Mitt or the older NRS Toaster Mitt..  That's what I use for the occasional winter whitewater play boating.

https://kokatat.com/product/inferno-paddling-mitt-inunim

https://www.nrs.com/product/25027.04/nrs-toaster-mitts-closeout

The Kokatat Pogis are designed to be fairly close on the wrist so they aren't going to take a bulky glove in combination.  Lightweight neoprene would be ok but I just tried on a pair with Large Glacier Gloves and it was balky.

Jim,

It's just not possible to make something do everything.  In accommodating the possibilities of a widening scope of scenarios you arrive at an entirely different piece of equipment.  Rather like there's no truly good crossover kayak that goes fast for ocean crossings, handles Class IV ww and allows you to attach a downrigger for lake trout.

Go with your Toasters if your in the surf.  Deploy the Kokatat pogis from the center shaft when your done in the surf zone for the paddle home.

Oh, if you need a set of the later;

https://www.the-river-connection.us/products/kokatat-hydrus-kayak-mitts

Jim, If we paddle soon I may still have a few different gloves/ mitts you could try. I have gone through many and given some away due to having larger hands. I will be out before 4/1 hopefully.

I like my Koky  pogie mitts that Marshall has above. My go to. Sometimes I use gloves/mittens but really don't like them as they all are too tight or hard to get on when wet.  IMO if you go in the water your adrenaline (assume drysuit/hood and body temp is controlled) is going to kick in long enough to get back in and settled before your fingers give you too much trouble. At which point you have a potential serious situation developing even after reentry and must warm your fingers and prevent further cold setting in. But this is why we should paddle in groups. 

Hi Paul, we should paddle again soon! I paddled yesterday with air and water in the high 30s  with my glacier gloves on and mittens as a backup. My hands got a little cold at one point but warmed up again after a while. It's often like that for me skiing as well. I don't want to paddle in conditions a whole lot colder than that.

I really like these ponies from Immersion Research.  They have some rigidity and therefore are easy to get hands in and out of.  They also are large enough that you can get NRS mitts in and out of them for really cold weather paddling. They also are not too expensive. 

https://nextadventure.net/immersion-research-microwave-handwarmers.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o1&scid=scplp066831&sc_intid=066831&gclid=CjwKCAjw96fkBRA2EiwAKZjFTVDw0s5iewHV6hGeuMFFhogB18ezutE6_0E0cclwQ3Tj82kmf-rokxoCrYAQAvD_BwE

If you like the idea of pogies and want to paddle in colder waters, then a combination of pogies for general protection and thin gloves for the occasional (and hopefully short, you are paddling with a group, right?) swims can work well.  NRS Hydroskins are a pair of 0.5 mil neoprene + titanium gloves that are really warm given how thin they are, and the thin-ness helps with deck lines and other things that require a bit of dexterity.  They also stuff down small - I carry a pair in my PFD pocket year round, along with my beanie, 'cause that way I always have them.

Come into the shop (Newbury Kayak and Canoe) to try a pair.

Keith

My personal favorites are combining the Kokatat Pogies in the fabric with a glove.   The weight of the glove is dependent on the temperature and wind.  To make the pogies a bit easier to get in/out of, I do the unthinkable - I cut the elastic from the inside.  They have this elastic to "blouse" the pogie.  BUT if you take a seam ripper and pick the stitches, you can cause it to open up more for ease of getting on/off.  I know that seems drastic but it makes all the difference.

For a glove, I use the glacier glove Ice Bay - without any shiny bits on the palm.  Just raw neoprene.  To make them last longer, you can aquaseal the seams.  I don't bother as I don't want them lumpy but others I know have done so. 

image.png.4c69968054f5e71b44272a5ca57c9050.png

Jim,

I find my hands are colder when I put gloves inside the pogies. I think it is a combination of less circulation and blocking the hand-heated environment of the inside of the pogies. After a while, if the pogies get wet and/or my hands become otherwise chilled (eg by taking them out of the pogies), I change out to gloves at lunch. I find that the cloth-lined NRS gloves are easiest to put on over cold and wet hands.

Bob