Wednesday Lunch Paddle Series

Joseph Berkovitz

Hi all,

I wanted to call your attention to a new series of trips that Bob Levine and I just posted, to run on Wednesdays during the peak paddling season. The idea is to have a regular midday trip on the ocean in the middle of each week, on a day that makes conflicts with other club activities less likely.

Bob and I will jointly act as initiators for these trips. The circumstances and skill level of each trip will be tailored to that week's participants and conditions.

Here's a link to the Calendar entry, which says more about it:

Edited by Joseph Berkovitz

• 2 months later...

For better or worse I have 6-8 years to retirement  but I also have some vacation time built up that I have to burn.  I might want to do some Wednesdays.  I'd just need to plan a few days in advance to let me coworkers know I'm taking the day off.  I'd likely look for notification of location and weather forecast a few days in advance to decide if it's a good day to attend.  

I was looking through some old posts from last summer before I joined.  Wasn't there an afterwork weekday thing at Walden last summer?  Anyone know if there is any kind of early evening events planned for this summer?  Walden or anything not too far from the 128 or 495 belt is more or less on my way home from work and it would be fun to get out for a couple hours after work sometime.

-Ken  

@Ken There was indeed a thing at Walden every Wednesday last summer. The person organizing Walden in past years (Bill Voss, @billvoss ) has said he plans to do it again when he's ready, but not on Wednesdays, maybe on Tuesday. He would be the person to ask about it.

These Wednesday paddles will be on the ocean, though, hence the daytime orientation.  It would be fun to do some evening things on the ocean though once days get longer.

@Ken I've been talking with @billvoss about this year's Walden sessions. More info will be coming very soon, but here's the current plan for Tuesdays:

We will be having practice sessions at Walden Pond this summer, but
they will be on Tuesdays this year. We're tentatively aiming for an
official start at Walden in early June, although if the weather is
nice, some of us may start earlier. There's also talk of paddling some
of the rivers in the area to add some variety to our weekly
gatherings, and these might start happening on nice Tuesdays in May.

While our Walden sessions in the past have focused on rolling practice
and instruction, two of us are recovering from back injuries this
year. Depending on what you'd like to accomplish, there will be people
around to assist you in achieving that.

Heads up: we will be posting the first Wednesday Lunch Paddle to the Trips forum on late Sunday / early Monday, once we have a good picture of conditions and can select a reasonablelaunch location.

Right now things look promising for brighter and less windy conditions middle of next week, but who really knows?!

...Joe