Squam Lake camping, Columbus Day Weekend, Sat Oct 12 - Mon Oct 14, 2019

Dan Foster

This year's Squam Lake camping trip will be held over Columbus Day weekend, to allow campers who have regular work schedules to join us. Since this is one of only a few trips we run that doesn't require taking a day off of work, some preference will be given to those with real jobs who normally wouldn't be able to join us without calling in sick. Stay tuned for details.

We have our usual spot reserved on Moon Island in Squam Lake for Saturday and Sunday nights. The group will meet at Squam Lakes Association headquarters in Holderness, NH on Saturday morning in time for a late-morning launch, and will return to the cars after lunch on Monday. There is typically a paddle-and-hike (surf and turf?) option on Sunday as well as an option for a longer paddle without any hiking. While there is not much of a tidal range on Squam Lake, there's a good chance of wind on the water and along our shoreline campsite, and temperatures can dip into the 30s in mid-October. The foliage, food, and friendship are always spectacular.

We are limited to a maximum of 10 tents in our group campsite. The cost to reserve a spot on the trip is $25, and includes two nights of camping on raised wooden tent platforms, firewood, and defrays our annual membership in the Squam Lakes Association.

Registration for this trip is not yet open. More details will be announced in late spring, and registration will be opened at that time.

You can click the Follow button (upper right corner on the desktop version of this website) to express interest in this trip and get notified when registration details are announced.

• 6 months later...

Registration for this year's Squam Lakes trip opens on Monday, August 26th, at the moment it stops being Sunday night. As stated earlier, some preference is being given to members that have full-time jobs and can't take time off to attend other NSPN camping trips. If you are an employee working 35+ hours a week OR if this will be your first-ever NSPN camping trip, you may register now.

To register, send $25 by PayPal to support@topografix.com and include your "Paid Member" NSPN username. 

Edited by Dan Foster
Changed paypal address

5 hours ago, Dan Foster said:

To register, send $25 by PayPal to support@expertgps.com and include your "Paid Member" NSPN username.  

Hi Dan. I tried but I get a "your recipient can't accept payments right now" message.

Edited by JanetL

Dan,

I tried paying through my paypal account to support@topografix.com and it doesn't seem to be acknowledging that this is a valid account or some such because it won't let me hit the next buttom.  What might I be doing wrong? 

I have Zella account with my bank.  Do you have a Zella account?

Thanks,

Romaine

Paypal seems to be doing a stupid thing on my browser where if you copy and paste in an email address, it doesn't let you press Next, but if you type it by hand, it will. I went through the motions from a second account and I was able to send $25 to support@topografix.com, which I guess means I can go on the trip now. :)

Patricia, you've paid successfully. I was waiting to see if Romaine was able to pay before sending out confirmations. For those without Paypal, you can send a check for $25 to me at 24 Kirkland Dr, Stow, MA 01775. Send a PM when you send the check and I'll hold your spot on the trip.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gary is the only one who has expressed interest in day paddling. He's planning to be there at 10AM on Saturday when the rest of us launch.

Campers      Arriving at Squam Lake Assn
Dan Foster    Saturday, 10AM-ish
Romaine Randall    Saturday 10AM-sh
Patricia McCauley    Saturday 10AM-sh
Terese Pawletko    Saturday 10AM-sh
Pablo DeTorres    Saturday  10AM-sh

Day Paddlers    
Gary York    Sat AM

For anyone else interested in joining us, there are still camping spots available. And Gary and Terese are joining us to day paddle on SUNDAY, meeting at the island by 9:30AM (which implies a launch from the Squam Lakes Association around 8:45AM.

Please contact me ASAP if you'd like to paddle with us this weekend.

Gary welcomes any day paddlers who want to LAUNCH by 8:30AM on SUNDAY (the middle day of the trip), in order to rendezvous with the campers on Moon before 9:30AM. He's planning to stay for a potluck dinner on SUNDAY and paddle back under the light of the fullish moon. There will likely be a paddle-to-hike option on SUNDAY, either to our usual lunch spot on the Rattlesnakes, or a 5.2 mile round-trip hike up Red Hill (eastern shore of Squam).

Anyone who wants to day paddle on SATURDAY should be ready to LAUNCH from SLA by 11AM on SATURDAY (campers will be there at 10AM to pack boats). We will likely paddle to Moon Island to set up camp, and may venture out after that. (We can negotiate that in the group PM going on now with all interested parties).

Dave, Terese, Jim, Gary, and other potential day paddlers: the two launch times above are your options for meeting up with the group. I've invited you all to the group PM, which has more info as well as the contact spreadsheet with launch times. Please solidify your plans by 5PM Friday and post your intentions there so we know who to expect, and when.