New Year's Day Paddle 2019

rfolster

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Prudence in the sense that it would be nice to stay together, unless some very inexperienced folks turn up. 10+ miles is okay with me. 

$.02,

John

Forecast Updates:

- A chance of rain, mainly before 8am. Partly sunny, with high temperatures in the upper 40s to low 50s.
- Massachusetts Zone Forecast: SW winds 10 to 15 kt, becoming W 15 to 20 kt in the afternoon. Gusts up to 30 kt. Seas around 7 ft, subsiding to 4 ft in the afternoon.
- Misery Island Point Forecast: SW wind 10 to 13 kt becoming WNW in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 26 kt. A chance of rain, mainly before 8am. Seas 5 ft subsiding to 2 ft.
- Gerrish Island Point Forecast: SW wind 15 to 18 kt becoming WNW 17 to 20 kt in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 30 kt. A chance of rain before 8am. Seas 6 ft subsiding to 3 ft.
- Boston Harbor Point Forecast: SW wind 10 to 13 kt becoming W 13 to 16 kt in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 31 kt. A slight chance of rain before 9am. Seas around 2 ft.

Wave periods are generally under 8 seconds, so not mature swell but mostly wind chop.

For what it is worth:
- Monday Zone Forecast: S winds 5 to 10 kt. Seas around 2 ft. Mostly sunny, high temperatures in the low 40s.
- Wednesday Zone Forecast: NW winds 10 to 15 kt, becoming N 5 to 10 kt in the afternoon. Gusts up to 20 kt. Seas 2 to 3 ft. Mostly sunny, high temperatures in the mid- to upper 30s.

Please answer the following questions?

1) Based on the forecast, are you still interested in making some attempt to put a trip together on Tuesday (as apposed to just bailing altogether)?
2) Are you available to paddle on Monday?
3) Are you available to paddle on Wednesday?

Please answer the following questions?

1) Based on the forecast, are you still interested in making some attempt to put a trip together on Tuesday (as opposed to just bailing altogether)?  Yes, if there were no options, but clearly the forecast is not encouraging for attempting to accommodate a relatively large group paddle with varied perspectives. 
2) Are you available to paddle on Monday? Yes, with enough notice e.g. noon Sunday.
3) Are you available to paddle on Wednesday? Nope ☹️

Unfortunately I’m not able to paddle on either Monday or Wednesday. Based on weather forecast I’m still interested in paddling on Tuesday,  however it would need to be a scaled down trip in a more sheltered area. If all else fails I would be interested in a non-paddling pppo.

just my $0.02.

Just downloaded a new weather app and as all the other sources predict moderate to high winds with significant gusts. I'm with Prudence not wanting to fight wind all day. I'd be interested in dining with everyone. I'm out Monday and Wednesday 

3 minutes ago, David M said:

So... if Tuesday turns out not to be a paddle,  I'm interested in both a Monday paddle and a facsimile of a pppo on Tuesday.

I might be amenable to that!

I’m not free at all on Monday. Wednesday would work for me though. 

I would also be happy to go out on Tuesday in the wind since it will be warm. I went out yesterday with Bob and Jim Snyder around Marblehead Neck in similar conditions and you can rig it so there is only about an 0.75 mile slog against the W wind at the top of the harbor. Theres plenty of lee available elsewhere. With temps in the 50s and sun, not too bad .

There is enough interest to run a trip tomorrow, so I am going to post a separate thread for that.  If people are still interested in trying to put a trip together for Tuesday as well, please continue to use this thread.  Not sure if we should start a new NYDPnPPO thread or just try to coordinate with the Tuesday trip people on this thread.

Yikes, confusion might reign!  I'd like to paddle only one day, not two!  Monday looks the better day.  I'd love to eat with folks on Tuesday.  But are Monday paddlers also wanting to paddle on Tues?  And would those can't paddle tmrw prefer a nice meal together on Tues to paddling in windy conditions?

Last year we went to a nice place for food on NEw Years Day.  I would vote for that again!