New Year's Day Paddle 2019

rfolster

What has started out as just something to has, as with many other NSPN events, become a tradition!  We will once again be hoping for good enough weather to hold a New Year's Day paddle along the North Shore somewhere to be decided based upon experience & desire of attendees and weather conditions.  This will probably be a journey-style trip (as opposed to a surf or rock play event) somewhere in the 10+/- nautical mile range, and all who have the proper clothing (drysuits & insulation, gloves or poggies, hat or hood, etc.) are welcome to join.  If you have not paddled in cold water before and are interested, please post questions here or contact me privately, otherwise post interest here and we will continue to discuss once weather forecast becomes available.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking ahead at weather (accuracy is always questionable this far out), a low pressure system and associated rain should head out Monday night (sorry New Year's Eve fans!) and give us a mostly dry, sunny, and WARM day, but gusty winds from the west.  Water temps are hovering around mid-40s.  Sea conditions will be more on the choppy side than swell, so might be a better day for a journey then play.  Tide is not perfect, with high being around 7:30am and low around 1:45pm, so launching and landing will be at mid- or just below mid-tide.  For those familiar with most launches around Salem Sound, for example, know that they are shallow sand and make for long carries.  Cathy and I have both gotten wheelies for Christmas and would be interested in trying them out (and sharing!).

With the amount of interest, we have the option of doing one large group or separate trips, so people should post their preferences, such as a longer or shorter trip (more or less than 10 miles), exposed or sheltered, etc.  Based on responses, we can decide on more than one trip ahead of time or not.  We will continue to monitor the forecast and adjust for any changes as things become more definite.

My wish is totally conditions dependent.  Have to wait for more accurate forecast!  If it's super windy and choppy I'm totally for sheltered paddle.  Even if it's warm, it will be cold.

But I'm kinda hoping we stay together as a group.  It's a nice feeling to start the year that way.

And will anyone be up for pppo assuming anything is open?

Subject to conditions I'd be up for 10+ mile excursion.  Agree that at this point conditions aren't playfully favorable.

By the way, is anyone else having trouble with the NOAA Point forecast?  I'm getting an error message that the site can't load Google maps.

1 hour ago, David M said:

By the way, is anyone else having trouble with the NOAA Point forecast?  I'm getting an error message that the site can't load Google maps.

I haven’t. What device are you using?