Paddle to Nubble Lighting - Saturday 11/24

cfolster

Robert and I are planning to paddle from York Harbor to see the lighting of the Nubble lighthouse tomorrow night and we'd love to have people join us.

Launch by 4 - arrive at nubble around 5:30pm  Lighting at 6, back to launch around 7:30.

If you're interested in joining us, you need to be prepared to paddle in cold water (47), cold air (37-43) and possibly rain (but not likely).  You need to have appropriate gear for paddling at night  (headlamp for getting around on land, a light you can turn on to identify yourself to other boats (there may be boats around the lighthouse) glow sticks as needed, etc).  

Things to consider:

In our favor:  Ebb on our way out and flood on the way back in.  Seas are 1-2 ft with little period.  

We may or may not have the moon and rain is expected after midnight (so need to be prepared for it to arrive early).

It may not be possible to get out of boats at the Nubble (but if seas and crowds allow, there are some rocky areas to do so).

I plan to have Christmas lights on my boat.

Post here if interested and want to join.

Image result for lighting of the nubble

Cathy

I'm interested but am not sure I have all the right gear. I’ve only cold weather paddled at the Easter paddle. What constitutes a light to identify oneself? Why glow sticks?  Or is that used to identify oneself 

If you were warm enough at the Easter paddle and have some extra layers, that should be fine.  Dry suit should go without saying.

a white light is a boating law requirement to identify yourself to an oncoming vessel.  A headlamp will work for that.  We have plenty of glow sticks (if we even need them).

Jane,

We often paddle up here after dark. Stern light so other boats can see you. Quickly accessible head lamp or light to signal other boats. To be determined by group but yellow chem for helmet and green chem hanging off bow for out of boat experiences at night common.

Cathy too late for non New England paddlers but is this something they do every sat post turkey day? Me planning for 2019.