Launch: 10.00a
Land: 4.00p
Distance: 12 nm 
LT: 8.30a

HT: 2.20p
Weather: wind NW becoming N 5-10 kt,  Seas 3-4ft @ 15s, air 70F water 65F
People: Joe B (organizer/leader), Liz N, Bob L, Dan F

Rockport.png

A very beautiful trip from Rockport Granite Pier. The story of today was a story of constant long-period swells which were typically around 2-3 feet, which would every so often amplify to a short set of huge 5-plus ft. waves. We really needed to keep on our toes during the whole trip for these big sets and there were a number of near-misses.

We made our way around the outside of Straitsmouth where the huge waves breaking on the shelf in front of it made for a majestic and awe-inspiring scene. After that we handrailed through Whale Cove and Loblolly Cove. Occasionally the action would become really big. Bob went in to play in a rocky area and got caught at the beginning of one of these sets; he rolled up immediately and gamely made his way out through the remainder of the set back into more open water.

At Thacher we discovered the light keeper's motor launch occupying pretty much the whole ramp. The ramp itself was being swept sideways by water during big swells, making it a very unappetizing place to land even if it had been empty of other boats. We let the keeper know we'd leave them to their business today and land elsewhere. We proceeded to the cobble beach at the SW of the island, but that was also super dicey looking in the swells. From here though we could see Milk, and it looked like a much better option...

We proceeded to Milk and scoped it out. Huge waves were breaking on the ledges all around the outside of it, but the beach on the inside looked doable at a small sandy section just inside the bar that juts out of the NW corner edge of the island. As we got closer it became apparent that there was dumping surf here, but it was much smaller than elsewhere and we all landed successfully. Dan, Bob and I circumambulated Milk and found various interesting bones, and watched the huge waves breaking on the outside.

Getting off Milk was a bit of an ordeal though. The water had risen and the dumping was more pronounced. Bob and Liz got off pretty nicely. Dan had a few tries on a forward seal launch and then succeeded after having the boat turned and wrenched away by incoming waves once or twice. As the last to depart the beach I had planned a reverse launch, but decided to follow Dan's approach instead since it looked very easy during one of the many lulls. Alas, it was not so easy... I had to let go of my boat at one point to avoid being hit by it, and a wave carried it up the beach where it connected with some small rocks. (I've been repairing the gash in its side today.) Anyway, Bob counseled patience and after waiting for a suitable moment I, too, left Milk Island.

We more or less handrailed back, opting for a more direct and inshore route. The wind had been supposed to die, but instead picked up a bit. There were some very sporty and bumpy conditions at times with combinations of wind waves, reflected swells and some sort of wind-against-current effects (it was just after max flood).

On the inside of Straitsmouth we had a chance to observe a new boat ramp that the town of Rockport is in the middle building there (near where the stone steps go up to the top of the island). It looks pretty peachy. This day, however, would not have been a good day to land there even if the ramp had been completed!

I think we all agreed this was a great day, and as usual, one where the ocean was in charge, not us!

The rest of us were glad when "he rolled up immediately and gamely made his way out through the remainder of the set back into more open water" so we did not have to go in for a rescue.:-))

My thanks to my surf landing and launch team. I have not done that in years. Muscle memory does kick in.

Fabulous day on the water. I love big swells!

Liz