Thanksgiving Weekend at Walden

Nancy Hill

Many years ago the traditional last gathering of the season of Walden Qajaq Society at Walden Pond was the Friday after Thanksgiving.  Sometimes the gate was still open and other times we had to wheel our kayaks down to the water on carts. Often it was cold, but after a few refreshing, face numbing rolls one became accustomed to the water temperature. It was a group with SOF kayaks, drysuits and tuiliqs which kept us warm. You don't need a skin-on-frame kayak to join in the fun (but bring one if you have one!), but you do need a way to keep dry and warm if you plan to roll.  Please reply here if you are interested.  I'll post something a week or so before Thanksgiving if there is enough interest in reviving this custom. Below is a poor quality (it was a long time ago, after-all) video from the day after Thanksgiving in 2009, when I tired the elbow roll for the first time.  - Nancy Hill

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Due to the unseasonably cold weather over the coming week, rolling at Walden will have to wait until another year. I wouldn't be surprised if there is ice on the pond by Friday. So, it's hiking instead of rolling. Have a happy Thanksgiving, everyone.