Introduction

Ken

I joined this board a couple weeks ago so I thought I'd introduce myself.

My first love is skiing but I try to stay fit in the off seasons with other sports.  I was hiking a lot in spring but getting some knee pain down hills so I figured I needed to alternate in a another sport.  Remembering that I liked paddling canoes as a teenager and young adult, I thought I'd learn sea kayaking.  So I took a few classes--

• Intro to Kayaking  with the AMC on Lake Cochituate in Wayland.
  • Intro to Sea Kayaking with Paddle Boston in Hingham Bay.
  • Essential Touring Skill with Osprey in Westport Harbor (John Monroe instructor, taught me a ton and had a great time.)
  • Tidal Current Clinic with Osprey in Westport.  (Paddled out the Devil's Pocket in the current and actually stayed in my boat.)

For fitness and practice, I've been renting kayaks from Paddle Boston most weekends for a couple hours at the various locations.  I got to paddle several sections of the Charles and try a handful of different boats.  I was considering doing their season pass for next year but then decided if I want to progress, I have to get my own equipment.  So I hit the end-of-season sale as Osprey and bought a used  Scorpio MV MkII Corolite X, PFD, paddle, and skirt.  I'm sure I'll want lots of little stuff but can work on that incrementally.

I live south, Medfield, but work north Tewksbury, so I figure I'll join more than one of the clubs in MA/RI for next season.  I see NSPN has practice Wednesday's in Walden.  That's sort of on my way home from work so I may want give it a try next Summer.  For some quick fitness paddling, I can hit the Charles as there's four of five put-ins within a few miles of my house.  I'm hoping to find some level 2 - 2.5 trips next summer.  I'm not level 3 yet but want to keep learning.

-Ken