Jump to content
NSPN Message Board
Joseph Berkovitz

Cape Ann Saturday 9/22/18

Recommended Posts

Next weekend, Saturday looks like a potential good day to paddle (without too much good weather in between, other than today).

Conditions willing, I'm thinking of a launch from Rockport Granite Pier and paddling southeast to Thacher I. via Straitsmouth I. Total round-trip would be around 10 nm if you add in the usual messing around with rocks and so forth.  The route is exposed to open ocean and there will be some leftover seas from the week's weather, so we should conservatively consider this an L3 paddle.

This plan depends on a cold front having moved through and cleared out the warm sector of the low that will likely be blowing nastily from the S on Friday. If that happens as predicted, we should see diminishing winds < 8 kt out of the N or NW on Saturday, 2' seas and sunny skies with temps in 70s.  But if the forecast firms up differently during the week, then the route or the venue can change.

If you're interested, please respond on this thread. If there's interest, we'll turn it into a PM thread midweek once the weather and the plan have solidified. I would like to cap the trip size to 8 (first to respond, first served).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just noting the forecast of paddling into the NNW wind (10-15 kt) on our return from thatcher. That wind will be trending downwards during the day but suspect it could still be a slog at times. 

A West Beach launch could be a Plan B if people hate headwinds that much. For my part I kind of miss paddling in the Thacher area and don’t mind some extra effort. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m interested, just got back from NY.  Best, Sue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The FC is about the same and the timing of the passing of the cold front is probably somewhat uncertain. If delayed then we wouldn’t want to be paddling into it on return. If it was VERY delayed we wouldn’t want to paddle during it as gale force from SW is predicted for Friday late. But current predictions are 8-10 kt for afternoon.

http://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?w3=sfcwind&w3u=0&w10=swlp&w11=swlm&w12=swlp2&w13=wwh&w14=wvh&AheadHour=23&Submit=Submit&FcstType=graphical&textField1=42.6065&textField2=-70.5733&site=all&unit=0&dd=&bw=&marine=1

 I think West Beach sounds like the best plan now in terms of lee and choices of direction and rock play. Good Harbor could work, but the coast between there and Thachers is all beach, not as interesting. Going the other direction is more interesting but runs into the harbor and dog bar pretty quick (not so good in N wind). We can save Thacher for another more favorable day  

( Yes, Sunday does have better weather for this trip but I cannot paddle that day as I have a piano gig. )

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are coming, please add your info to this float plan (which is combined with the standard club waiver, for convenience):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K1l54wn3zyjB5gSjKLA6DwEeS_L1lnzH462UDwFUjJ0/edit?usp=sharing

This way you only need to sign your name to the float plan before we launch, and all the documentation is complete.

Other things:

- Note that we're talking West Beach in Beverly (not Rockport) and it's here: https://goo.gl/maps/M41CHU5tCeJ2

- Prudence, I would LOVE to get a burger but schedule may conflict, I'll play this by ear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe, I,m not comfortable putting all that info on spreadsheet than anyone on the NSPN site has access to.  If it were in a group PM to those who signed up, that would be fine...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×