Saturday, September 1 - Lanes Cove to Rockport

prudenceb

Saturday, Labor Day Weekend - Lanes Cove to Rockport and....?

September!  How can it be?!  Join me for a paddle to mourn the psychological end of summer!  This trip, along the beautiful rocky Cape Ann shoreline, will take us around Halibut Point and into Rockport Harbor, where we'll stop for lunch.  This trip can be totally benign and doable for paddlers of all levels (who have a boat with bulkheads and are comfortable doing a wet exit and participating in a T rescue) if seas and wind cooperate.  Or it can be a wild ride around Halibut Point and only suitable for more experienced paddlers comfortable in conditions.  We won't know kind of day it will be until later in the week.

Please post interest here.   If anyone has questions about whether their experience is sufficient, please send me a PM and we can discuss.

All participants, please PM me with float plan info: name, cell, e contact, boat description, car make and model.  Launch time and other trip info will be sent to those who sign up.

Prudence

10 minutes ago, JRL said:

I have to work at 4:45, which means off the water by 3ish. But I can see if someone wants the shift. :)

Off the water by 3ish would probably work.  Obviously, for you easier if you don't have work staring you down!

May I offer some advice, Prudence?  I paddled out of the cove yesterday and the day before that and yesterday experienced something I have never had before (as far as I recollect): playing along the shore, eastwards, I had no problems...until I got to Halibut Point, when I was <attacked> by small, grey, biting flies.  Hundreds of them!

It was impossible to evade them and they seemed to be every bit as tough as the greenheads; but these chaps are a third of the size.

They only seemed to relent once I got back to the vicinity of Liz’s place!  Neither did rolling help me: as soon as I was upright again — back into attack mode!

Be prepared with some sort of anti-insect spray.  Once I got home I saw big bumps all over my shoulders where I had been bitten (which went down quickly enough, later)

Enjoy yourselves (but I would not expect to see any visiting schooners over on that side of the Cape: they will likely hang around Gloucester harbour)

Edited by Pintail

I have been bitten by those bugs!  I don't know where they came from but I wish they would leave the area!

If people want to switch to paddling in Gloucester Harbor, we could see the schooners that will be arriving tomorrow. The race is Sunday.

http://gloucesterschoonerfestival.net/?page_id=23 

The Saturday parade of lights is fun to watch from the water, starting at 7 PM, however. 

Liz