Mariner sea kayaks

spuglisi

Sal:

No personal experience with it, but know someone in Maine who has used one for some significant solo tours in "consequential" waters and thinks very highly of the boat.  I believe he bought a newish one to replace the old one which says alot..  Rare on East Coast and believe it has a cult following on West Coast as a very fast extended touring boat suited to rough, big water like the outside passage to Alsaka.  That said, like all cult boats, I assume it has its share of quirks.  Boze brothers were know for making high performance boats for use on the open coasts of the NW that loved rough water.  Years before the short rough water play boats became fashionable, they were making the legendary Coaster.

Ed Lawson

A club member had a Coaster, but I’m drawing a blank on his name. I remember he loved that little boat.

I’ve got an old Mariner 1 with the sliding seat hanging out in the barn. I liked it but for speed I preferred my Foster Shadow. The  Mariner definitely had more initial stability. 

Definitely try to paddle it, higher volume boats can feel a bit like a cork sometimes, bobbing to the top of every wave. 

Micheal,

Is the Mariner II a high volume boat? Someone recommended it to a friend of mine but she's only 155 lbs. I'll have to try and do some more research. I really couldn't find that much on it aside from the link that David posted.

They are generally higher volume, A 17'9" Cetus MV is 88 gallons (all hatches and cockpit) a 17' 11" Mariner II is 105 - 111 gallons.

"West coast" boats tend to be higher volume, look at old North West Kayaks, Pacafic Water Sports, etc..... They are not Greenland style boats. Having said that by most accounts they're nice boats. I would want to paddle one first.

What is your friend paddling now?

I own and paddle a Mariner Elan, which is a smaller boat than the Coaster, as I recall. I can talk about the Mariner and maybe some of that will relate to the Mariner II. 

Mine is very lightweight - I can lift and carry it alone. I assume that means it's not as sturdy as a British kayak, so I take care of it in the rocks. The cockpit is unusually far back toward the stern which makes for a fine surfing position but less fine for windy days when the rockered bow swings around in the wind. There is no skeg or rudder. It has a sort of built-in skeg shape in the extreme rear of the stern hull. The hull is rounded except for several feet under and around the cockpit, where it is quite flat with hard chines. This again makes it a good surfing boat (planing hull) and adds to its nimbleness in turning. It originally had no fore bulkhead so that it could be packed from the cockpit. I've put in a foam bulkhead in place of foot pedals and sealed it, but still use an airbag in the bow, where there is a very tiny hatch opening, maybe 6" diameter. Stern hatch opening is equivalent to a day hatch size.

It's quite an unconventional boat, but obviously well thought out. It has a quirky attachment system for a paddle with a paddle float, for self rescue (I've never tried it - the boat rolls so easily). I'm 115 lbs and it doesn't ride low enough for me to handle windy days without being pushed around mercilessly, so I don't use it then. YMMV. It's very easy to roll, far far superior to my Explorer LV for surfing, and delightfully easy to move (both in water and out). 

Hope this is of some help for your friend.

Kate

Edited by kate

Thanks Kate,

My friend judy has been paddling for quite awhile but does not have the variety of experience that most of us do. She's been paddling an old town plastic boat so the Mariner is definitely an upgrade. A friend that she trusts recommended it to her. She tried it and bought it. It's currently sitting in my backyard. I found it heavier than my tiderace and very awkward to carry due to the rearward cockpit position. The boat does have a bulkhead in the bow and the tiny hatch that you mentioned. The stern hatch is huge and different than any I've seen before with a true oval shape and a 2 pc lid that consists of a fiberglass insert and a neoprene cover to hold it in place. Also of note is that there is no provision for deck lines, only bungies and there are two weird cleats mounted just fore of the cockpit. Judy is also 115 lbs and to me, the boat looks pretty big for her. Definitely an unconventional design. I'm looking forward to taking it out for a test paddle.

http://www.marinerkayaks.com/ has just a ton of info, both about the boats and about kayaking in general. It's interesting to wander through and see how the sport looked back in the day.

Yes, it is awkward to carry since the carry-point is so far aft. The two Broze brothers who designed these boats definitely had unconventional ideas!  Sorta fun, though, to paddle something so different. Hope you have a good time with it.