Tall Ships Portsmouth

Paul Sylvester

After a bad traffic jam and using some local backroad  knowledge I made it to Odiorne launch around 9:45. Soon after I hit the water and found a 2-3' swell with fog. Visibility was 1200'-1500 feet. As I rounded Great Island Common there were dozens of people trying to see the flotilla but were unable to. They had to settle for seeing me surfing and paddling along the shore. I could hear the flotilla but could not see them. As I turned up the river at the CG station visibility improved and the seas flattened out. I could then see the fireboat and others ships way up the river nearer the PNSY.

Getting up by Four Tree Island there were perhaps a couple hundred people on shore watching with cameras. The smaller schooners were turning and heading downriver to dock at the PYC I assume. The one very large square rigger was turning at tugboat ally and coming back to dock at the commercial fish pier.There were about 15-18 smaller boats hanging around and only one kayak...me.

A strong wind on the port side gave them a challenge docking and lacking bow thrusters they had to use a small tug.

Came up by Pierce against a good flood and headwind. Passed the usual rec boaters out for the day. Quick snack break on Coolidge and back to Odiorne as some clouds were thickening in the distance. No rain, lively seas and some patches of blue sky......

IMG_0893(1).JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

IMG_0890_2.JPG

Congratulations on being the only kayak to welcome the tall ships!  Your description of the day was great.  I went by land to see the ships and went aboard the Oliver Hazard Perry, the three masted square-rigger in your pictures.  It is a metal replica of a typical 1812 era ship built by a group who thought Rhode island needed it's own Tall Ship:)