Thule saddle/sling vs. hullivator given NDK Pilgrim

Hi

I am FINALLY going to pick up my NDK thurs and head to the lake session to work on strokes.  I've got a hand injury that will require surgery (Aug. 24)... the NDK is fiberglass/Kevlar combo so far less than my 69 lb rotomold ... that said I have to lift it myself onto a Prius and have never handled a boat that long.  I bought a hullivator but have yet to install it (still in box so can return it if folks think I can get it up solo (live alone)).  The question is, do you think I could manage the NDK picking it up and using standard 'saddle' mounts on the Thule or go ahead and keep the hullivator...I know that that is hard to answer but really appreciate all of your honest opinions.  VERY EXCITED to finally get on the water (original injury was 3/21 and was told last week to 'do whatever you want til surgery' so I get to paddle for first time since last Aug).  thanks in advance!!!

Terese

I have a Prius. I bought a hullivatore and was unable to use it because the car wasn’t high enough. The hullivator was almost on the ground and I couldn’t reach to release it. I have absolutely no problem pushing it up the back of the car. I place a piece of carpeting over the back of the car, lift the bow up onto it and then work my way to the stern and lift and push it up o to my rack which has foam on it. Really easy and simple

I have a Subaru Impreza.  I carry boats and load them on to the car without any help.  Like Jane, I'm not getting any younger (sorry, Jane, but it's true!) and still I can do it.  There are things that you can get - short of a hullivator - that help with stabilizing the boat as you're loading it.  Prius is a short car.  You should be able to manage as long as your hand cooperates.

In my opinion, It is always a good idea to tie a bow line from a secure attachment point in the front of your car to the front of your boat, just for insurance, in case there is any kind of loosening or failure of your rack or straps. I am extra safety conscious and always do this, even with my short WW boat. It can prevent a boat from flying off the car and causing serious trouble. You can use a length of good quality rope and a trucker's hitch. I buy rope by the foot from REI. Once a friend narrowly missed losing her sea kayak on the Maine turnpike because she had a bow line on it.

Also, maybe you know this, but with a fiberglass or fiberglass/kevlar boat it is important not to pull the straps too tight, you can possibly damage the boat. A good way to tell if the boat is tight enough is if you can shake the car a little by shaking the boat. I would skip the extra foam, might interfere with the boat sitting snugly in the saddle mounts.  

Have fun with your new sea kayak!

Elizabeth

Edited by ejwilliams
grammar and redundancy

With all due respect to Elizabeth (and her friend), re this quote: <Once a friend narrowly missed losing her sea kayak because she had a bow line on it> ...

I never bother with a line to the bows of my boat because I consider that proper lashing of the boat to car is the crux of the matter.  Provided that your saddles or points of contact provide enough friction; provided that your crossbars are securely anchored to the vehicle and provided that you know ropes, knots and lashings, those much-discussed bow lines are superfluous (and cost you in drag).

I am quite aware that this is perhaps a contentious subject, but that is how I do things.  I also agree with the person who wrote that Hullavators are heavy and indulgent and of course they increase drag enormously.  I mount my boats on pool “noodles”; but then I like to keep it simple!

Terese, the Prius is a tiny motorcar and few other cars can be as low.  I think that your main problem is what roof rack/bars to mount?

Flack-proof helmet on...

Edited by Pintail

• 2 weeks later...

many many thanks!  I will use a line (tho cannot paddle the rest of the year as off to Indonesia and then major hand surgery - min 3 months recovery) - only had boat in water once due to hand injury...Again thank you all for response/tips...such an amazing group (and love the polar bears...)

I believe in bow tie downs.  My car doesn't have a place to attach so I got this from Thule.  It is loop that you put under the hood of your car.  You can attach a line from bow of boat to the loop.  Works great!

So do we. Both our cars have front and back places for big screw bolts with a giant eye that came with the cars for attaching the tie downs, but we use the same method as Prudence does. And, yes, it works great. It's also a lot cheaper to replace the loops than having to spend $$$ for replacement bolts.