Cape Ann Paddle 6/30/18

Joseph Berkovitz

Saturday, June 30: Lanes Cove to Long Wharf (Jones River) to Lanes Cove.
Conditions: air temps 80 F, sunny, light/variable wind changing to 5-8 kt from S.  Glassy conditions on Ipswich Bay with occasional light swell.
LT: 7.28a/0.1', HT: 1.44p/8.23' 

People: Joe Berkovitz (organizer/leader), Liz Neumeier, Prudence Baxter, Al Coons, Marc Carullo, Barry Doucette, Sue Morin, Janice Cotton, Jeff Charrette, Bill Hudgins, Rich Zwiercan, Bill Voss
Launch: 9.30 am, Landing: 2.30pm, Distance: 8.26 nm
Track:
 Untitled 2.png

This trip was intended as a walk in the park, so to speak: a paddle based on pure enjoyment rather than challenge. The trip explored two very different landscapes, each distinctive in its way: the rocky northwest coast of Cape Ann and the tidal salt marshes of the Annisquam River estuary.

We began with an early start at Lanes Cove. The south seawall of Lanes is being completely rebuilt due to storm damage, and was largely blocked off by chainlink fence and a phalanx of backhoes. However, this did not really affect the parking situation too badly, due to our launch time (thanks, Prudence for suggesting we move it earlier).

20180630_084730_1530410692488.png

After the usual loading and jockeying of boats and a brief beach briefing, we were on our way. The overall plan: to ride the flood into the Annisquam, lunch near Ram Island/Long Wharf, and return. Annisquam Light, Plum Cove and Lobster Cove were potential points to stop and rest. We discussed the expectation that the Annisquam would be a powerboat traffic jam, and made a plan to stay out of the channel and duck into Lobster Cove, then assess from there the best place to cross based on traffic and conditions. Since this area is Liz's backyard, it was helpful to have her local knowledge on tap.

The surface of Ipswich Bay looked smooth as a skating rink. Until we got near the lighthouse, we saw few boats and encountered few wakes. There was one surprise swell along the way though, to remind the unwary paddler of who's in charge!

We stopped for a stretch at Annisquam Light:

IMG_0201.JPG

A short while later, we were back on the water.  Traffic began to be more of a factor, and eventually we reached a good marshalling point in Lobster Cove. From there we worked our way down a marshy back channel to the Mill River, and crossed the Annisquam channel near the R "16" marker, a sort of choke point where the traffic is visible in both directions. Crossing in two pods felt like a good idea as the traffic breaks in the Powerboat Parade were quite brief.

From there it was some salt marsh meandering on the way to Ram Island. I had entertained some sort of harebrained idea that this island is public, but it sure didn't look it -- so we continued 3 minutes further up the Jones River to our lunch spot at Long Wharf landing:

IMG_0209.JPG

From there, we found our way back to Lanes with a gently building south wind and ebb tide at our backs.

This trip was a joy for me. There were some people I've paddled with a lot, and others who are new to the club, and still others who have been in the club for a long while but whom I hadn't met before. It was great to be with both old and new friends!

IMG_0203_1530410743607.png

Thanks for organizing a great trip Joe. It was nice to see a few paddlers I haven't paddled with in a long time and also great to meet some new NSPN members. Of course being out on the water and beating the heat was an added bonus. Hope to paddle with everyone soon.

Jeff

•  

•  

•  
  •  

Edited by Jeff Charette

Joe,

It was a wonderful trip.  I appreciate your putting in the work of organizing it.  I have never been paddling in that area before and I found it fascinating.  I have only been paddling twice this year  and this morning was a wake up call.

Bill Hudgins

Edited by BillHudgins

That's an interesting app, Jim. Does it work with the iPhone if you don't have an Apple Watch? It said something about using battery life even if the app is not open. Do you find that?  

There is a considerable discrepancy between Joe's mileage (8+) versus the apps mileage (11+). 

Oh, and thanks Liz for all your local knowledge! That was great! 

Endomondo does not require an Apple Watch. It is a bit of a battery hog but starting at 100% at the end of the trip I was still well above 50%. As long as you're not looking at your screen a lot it's not an issue. The thing I like most is if I'm paddling solo I can ask someone who is "friends" with me on the app to check in on me in real time. I know a little creepy but if something bad happened the position of my phone would be knowable. Regarding the difference in mileage, whatever Joe used measured nautical miles and mine statute miles. The rest of the difference could be gps error or me noodling around more than he did.