Sat June 30 Cape Ann Paddle - All Welcome

Joseph Berkovitz

For the last day of June, let's enjoy the true paddling high season with a paddle from Lanes Cove towards the Annisquam, stopping at the Annisquam Harbor Light for a scenic break and (dependent on appetite for distance) riding the flood current into the Annisquam and Jones Rivers for a saltmarsh ramble.

This paddle is open to NSPN members of all skill levels, including recent participants in the club's New To Sea Kayaking series. It is not a training session! The goal is to get on the water, enjoy each others' company and have some fun on the beautiful north side of Cape Ann.  I'm limiting participation to 12 in order to keep the number manageable, but this may not be an issue.

The plan is to be ready to launch our boats at 9:30 am.  Lanes has two launch areas; we will be launching from the area on the west side (Duley St) as it is less crowded. However you can park in either lot after unloading.

Please respond by clicking the "Going" button on the Calendar invite if you are interested in joining, and please chime in with any questions on this thread.

I think I,m going to be around and would like heading  in that direction.  One suggestion: plan for a 9:30 launch as lots will be starting to fill up with paddleboarders etc. as the season gets into swing.  Also we'd get off water in midafternoon, perfect for getting a crowd into Lobsta Land for a PPPO.  We did that yesterday and it worked perfectly!

• 3 weeks later...

Be warned that parking is not nearly as easy as usual in the cove: they have fenced off much of the area for reconstruction of the damaged seawall (at long last!)

I do not think I shall be able to join you, because of my work schedule.  Have fun!

Joe,

Thanks for the great trip. Just as advertised. Some good skill training, everyone pitched in, and sensible route and safety for a busy location.

Much appreciated,

Al

Fun day on cool water escaping the city heat and paddling with a bunch of new club members, some of whom were game to capsize and practice rescues.  Good work, Sue and Rich!

And thanks to Joe for arranging and (mostly) herding us cats, in a challenging environment where we were outnumbered by power boaters by about a million to one.  Getting across the Anisquam was like crossing Route 128 at rush hour.  We all lived to tell the tale!

Prudence