20 yr Anniversary of the first Show & Go

B

Wow, 20 years. In May of 1998 I posted the first Show & Go for Pierce Island in Portsmouth.....and no one showed up.

Not to be deterred, I posted another the next week in Marblehead, my home waters. This time Roger Wilkerson showed up. Yep, just me and Roger went paddling that day. That was the beginning of NSPN. 

In the weeks and months to come my little email list grew and grew. Sometimes as many as 30 paddlers would Show & Go on any given weekend.

In celebration of that first successful Show & Go, I will be paddling out of the base of Marblehead Harbor (Riverhead Beach) on Sunday May 13 @ 10am (shove off). 

Yes, of course there are requirements. Drysuits, yes drysuits are proper attire for this time of year. Longboats are best, but if your ass has the skill to paddle a shorty and keep up, more power to you. It better be fitted with a skirt though.

We'll head out of the harbor, around Brown's and Childrens Islands and possibly around the Neck depending on the participants and conditions. My back is not overly happy these days, so the mileage will be short with a few stops.

Wish it wasn’t Mother’s Day. . . Would be great to meet you and paddle with you and hopefully see Pam again.  Another time!

Hey Bob,

Roger and I used to take a long round trip paddle almost every week between Manchester Harbor and Milk Island. Speakin' of old paddling partners, I wonder where Marjorie is.

I now paddle or sail almost everyday for six months each year in SE FL. I'll be back to "America" by mid May.

Leon

I believe I bought Rogers red Explorer about 2001? Think he was moving on..

What about Chris Perkins? always wondered how these people could be so into it and then drop it?

Funny thing is I saw Roger a couple of years ago in traffic on Rt 128(93) in Lexington and tried to get his attention. I was beeping and waving aggressively, he wouldn't make eye contact and went into flight mode. He probably thought I was a road rage nut..

Marjorie, last I heard, was teaching school in Belmont CA. Chris got married and had a family. Adam is around somewhere, and Keith retired from Lotus and is working with Newbury Kayak.

Edited by B

Yes, Chris (his wife, actually) had a baby and I think that that spelled "end" for him.

B, I shall attend to say a long-overdue hello; but my presence is likely to be in spectator mode only, since I work on Sundays from 1530.  Looking forwards to seeing you, you old curmudgeon, you!

For those of you who do not know Bob Burnett, you should know that his greatest attribute (in my opinion) was that he always knew how to make NSPNers challenge and push themselves that little bit further, whilst keeping a watchful, attentive eye on that paddler.  He was a most influential force on <my> paddling!

Edited by Pintail

Thank you for the kind words Christopher. It'll be good to see you again my friend.

I remember a trip out of Nahant where Rodger, Bob, and I traveled over to Tinkers Island in amongst some nice swells. As we left the beach on the island we had to beat our way out through the quick surf and Rodger holed his boat. I think he was taking on water all the way back.  I'll be there on Sunday.  My first trip was out of Nahant, fall of 1998, not from the beach but from the ramp on the Lynn side at the beginning of Nahant road near the rotary.  

Omg, Crangle lives!!! It'll be good to see you again.

Funny man.... my ass is paddling at 10am. Just like the old days. Be on it or get left behind.