Chart Cases - Zipper vs Roll-Top Style?

Dan Foster

I've always used a ziplock-style map case for my chart on deck, specifically an 18x12" case from Mad Water. Part of the seam gave out as I cleaned it this morning. Even before this, I always had issues getting a positive seal on the zipper, and frequently had soggy map edges near the closure.

In researching new options, there seem to be a lot of positive reviews for roll-top cases that secure with a strip of Velcro. Many of those are from hikers and hunters, though. Are any of you using a roll-top closure on a kayak deck, and are satisfied with the seal?

Any favorite models or sizes, for either style of case? I liked being able to fit two 8.5x11" pages side-by-side in the Mad Water case, but frequently kept the case folded in half and shoved under my skirt's implosion strap rather than under the deck bungees for easier readability and access while paddling.

Roll top is the way to go.  And then be prepared when that gets wet.  If you can't get WP paper or tyvek charts,  the "waterproofing" stuff you can get at REI will make the paper resistant enough that if you keep it in the chart case you won't end up with a soggy mess when it gets damp.  

best

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

I use the NRS brand with a zipper closure. Have taken it on multiple multi-day trips over multiple years. Still good to go, doesn't leak. And still very clear. Just a winner. If it leaks tomorrow, I've gotten my money's worth long since and will buy another.

Kate