Bold Coast Paddle 2018

Joseph Berkovitz

This Level-3-and-up trip will visit one of the most dramatic coastlines in the world, Maine's Bold Coast, the long weekend of Friday August 10 - Monday August 13. Ranging from Machias Bay to Lubec and beyond to Canada's Campobello Island, the Bold Coast is a largely undeveloped and wild region with lots of dramatic cliffs and rocks, 25+ foot tidal ranges, strong currents and quite unpredictable weather.  (See the trip report from last year's MITA scouting trip which was a smaller, non-club paddle.) The tourists and pleasure boaters don't make it up this far, which accounts for even more of its charm.

The plan for this trip is to section-paddle various portions of the Bold Coast, Campobello Island and Cobscook Bay, adjusting the plan for conditions, interest and level of challenge. The sectional approach contrasts with trips that attempt to run the coast during a single tide cycle, which offers much less of an opportunity to explore the beauty of the region (and less flexibility if adverse conditions arise). Without hard tidal deadlines for launching or landing, we can pick various out-and-back or shuttle adventures and have a lot of freedom with the length and nature of the paddles. During this weekend, high tide will mostly occur around midday.  If conditions really suck, there is also really great hiking in the area.

Home base for this adventure is the Sunset Point RV Park in Lubec, which is a very clean and well-run campsite. It's not all RV's -- actually, the area reserved for tents is a lovely grassy headland that juts out into Johnson Bay, with its own little pavilion. The fee will run around $15 per night, but it may be less than that depending on how many campers we get -- when we finalize attendance, I'll be able to get the number.  Showers are free with unlimited hot water and if you care, there is free Internet at the office.

Are you up for this? Please RSVP to the calendar invite and we'll take it from there!

HeadHarbor.png

Spent a week up there in 1999 exploring the area with a couple of the NSPN old guard, great choice. The old Sow and reversing falls should be worth a visit. I'll be in touch as the trip draws near, I'd love to go up again. I miss the currents of the Northwest.

B