Boston Harbor Navigation Session and Paddle

rylevine

Boston Harbor navigation session and paddle is on again for this year. The level is for advanced novice paddlers. Pre-trip session is Saturday April 14th, and the paddle is Sunday, April 15 from Hough's Neck in Quincy. The pre-trip session is in Salem and should run for a few hours in the afternoon. Not required for the Sunday paddle. The material is the same as last year; but the theme this year is avoidance of chart and compass, not to mention calculators - everything with fingers and toes! Suggestions welcome.

Some references: I've got to mention my now favorite book  - Nature is your Guide: How to find your way on Land and Sea, by Harold Gatty. This guy was the real-deal; the navigator for Wiley Post on the first air circumnavigation of, well, the world...Forget finding direction by chart and compass, or even swell and wind - how about anthills on the beach! OK, it is an exaggeration, but Gatty used towering termite nests to determine his direction from the air over Northern Australia. Another reference, more pertinent to coastal navigation from the deck, is Leonard Eyges, The Practical Pilot, Coastal Navigation by Eye, Intuition, and Common Sense. We will also use Sea Kayak Navigation by Franco Ferrero, and other common references. I'll be posting a syllabus for both in-house and on-the-water sessions.

PM me if interested, and I'll reply with details. We have about a dozen tentative people so far so we are getting close to a maximum. Trip waivers will be part of the float plan.

Bob 

• rfolster changed the title to Boston Harbor Navigation Session and Paddle

Attached is the syllabus for the in-house navigation session on Saturday, April 14th at 1:00pm. The syllabus is tentative depending on how quickly we get things going. We may jump to the Boston Harbor planning stage sooner. Contact me via PM or email rylevine@comcast.net for more information. Thanks!

Bob

Syllabus for In-House Session.pdf