The Ice is Out!

gyork

..on Kezar Lake, NH, and trucked to its storage shed at Musterfield Farm http://www.musterfieldfarm.com

The resultant defect is probably insufficient to hold a pool session, but the ice harvesting process is such fun to watch.  IMG_1237.m4v

Each block weighs between 200-220 lbs.  Brings back memories of my childhood,  helping my uncle deliver blocks to each of his rental vacation cabins on Eskutasis Pond, in Lowell, ME.  Yes, sawdust is an incredibly good insulator.  If you doubt it, on your next kayaking trip, try wrapping your container of frozen _______ in several layers (one at a time), and be surprised how long it stays frozen/cold!

Hang in there, lots of adventures coming up for NSPN!

gary 

2 hours ago, Inverseyourself said:

Very neat! I like the crane they use. How much of the lake surface is actually harvested?

The Farm Museum on this day harvested an area of approximately only 30' X 30', trucked to their storage shed, and intended as an exhibit only for Museum visitors.  I'm a novice ice sawyer, but it took me ~4min to slice through one long side of a single block!

On 1/22/2018 at 10:06 PM, gyork said:

...... on your next kayaking trip, try wrapping your container of frozen _______ in several layers (one at a time), and be surprised how long it stays frozen/cold!

...several layers of NEWSPAPER, that is!

Are you referring to Kezar Lake in Center Lovell, ME? I can't open the image you posted. Is the ice off the lake? I spent my first 52 summers on that lake! My family is planning a reunion there this summer. I'd love to paddle there any weekend that the lake is clear. It would also be fun to see the ice harvesting.