NDK Skeg mechanism spare part

Managed to get the set screw in the knob that operates the skeg stuck in the knob (used too much force). Managed to retrieve the screw partially with a screw extractor bit, enough to slide the knob forward and off the steel rod that it sits on (and that holds the skeg wire) so that I can work on the piece without having to work around the attached kayak.

Can't seem to get the set screw out of that plastic knob, though. I tried WD-40. No go. I may have screwed up the threads in the plastic into which the set screw gets screwed. Unless someone can give me good tip how to extract the set screw from the plastic knob, I may have to get a new knob. It's such a cheap little 0.000001 cent part but an important one. Is anyone aware of a place where I can buy this as a spare part, does anyone have an old useable one that they don't need anymore? I'll pay premium dollar :-)

Thanks

Andy

IMG_1066.JPG

IMG_1067.JPG

Edited by Inverseyourself

Andy, I just spent all afternoon removing the same knob. I had put a new set screw in last year because the original got stripped and kept sliding off the metal bar. The replacement rusted just like yours. I tried everything and finally used a hack saw to cut the knob in two. Unfortunately, the skeg wire looks like it is fused to the slide bar and I could not remove the skeg wire.  I disconnected the wire from the skeg and taped the skeg up into the skeg box until I have a repair done. I think I'll have to get Carl or Tom B. To fix it. While working on the slider, I discovered about 4 "holes" just under the cockpit combing. I think the resulted from when the boat fell off the hullavator a couple of years back. 

Anyway, in answer to your question I got a new knob from Greg Paquin last year. I should have installed it then. 

Dave