Saguenay Beluga kayak - camping

Julia Richmond

The whales come up the river in early August. I propose starting August 5 for a four-day, three-night trip down the Saguenay Fjord. We will camp for three nights in the Sasguenay Fjord Park at $24.75 plus tax per night plus $8.50 per day park fee. We can stay a fourth night at Camping Tadoussac on the St. Lawrence for $30 to $40 plus tax per night. We can hire a shuttle to the put-in. 

These campsites need to be reserved as soon as possible. If interested paddlers contact me soon, letting me know their interest and preferences, I can put together more precise information. The following are dependent on participant preference: precise dates within the first two weeks of August,; number of nights camping on the Saguenay - 2, 3, or 4; average paddling distance per day.

Troad (Julia Richmond)

This sounds like a great trip, Julia! I've wanted to paddle when the whales are moving in Newfoundland, but this is a lot closer. ? I'm new to the group (posted an intro on the general board), and am interested in joining trips if space exists.

Timing is of the essence, and my potential to join in will be dependent upon the dates. I'll be camping in the Adirondacks the first week in August, so I'll wait to see the dates others are available, if any. 

I'm happy to help in any planning needs...

~ToddG

Edited by ToddG

G’day Julia....my wife Elena and I would be interested in joining you on this trip in August. We have paddled Saguenay Fjord in the past. Many campsites are primitive and difficult to land and get to. In the middle of the Saguenay there is a Provincial Campsite that is great. After the trip the wife and I will perhaps stay at the famous Tadoussac Inn. The Inn with the red roof. Famous for where the movie Hotel New Hampshire was filmed with Robin Williams and John Lithgow. The buffet style breakfast, lunch, and dinner can’t be beat, but most of all one can sip Pina Colata’s on the back lawn sitting on comfy chairs and watch the whales in the St. Lawerence River....I had a whale go right under my kayak while paddling on the St. Larry....great place....

HI Julia,  I am definitely interested in joining and am open to any plan the group comes up with.  Hoping to also stay an extra few days and learn about the area.  Thanks so much for putting this together, this is so great!   Sherry. 

Solid trip proposal:

Start August 5, morning. Four days, three nights camping in Parc national du Fjord-du-Saguenay @ $25 per night on wooden platforms. Each campsite can hold a maximum of twelve people. There are outhouses, but no source of potable water at all campsites. 

Put-in at Sainte-Rose-du-Nord. Take-out at Tadoussac, 81 km total distance, an intermediate level paddle. Wind can make paddling difficult. 

Camping: 1) La Baie-Eternite  2) Baie Sainte Marguerite  3) Anse du Passé-Pierre

Besides camping, there is an $8.50 per day park fee.

cancellation five days prior - total refund except for $7.65 cancellation fee. 

Add-ons: visit to my farm in Marston, Quebec; a night camping at Tadoussac and potentially paddling on the St. Lawrence; visit to Quebec City

The exchange rate changes every day. What would be great is to have a commitment for the trip so I could have a list of names. There seems to be enough positive response for me to go ahead and book all twelve spots at each of three campsites for our dates. 

The day for me to reserve is either February 10 or 11. Oddly, there will be one hour on one of those days. I can find out which hour the week before. 

I can find the average exchange rate for that week and report the amount in USD. Currently $109 CND would be about $90 USD according to a quote from CIBC last week. I can't get the prime rate available on Bank of Canada site. I will also find out if there are additional taxes and fees.