VHF range extension

Inverseyourself

Trust me, you do not want to get into the weeds about this.  If you want to play with antennas, then make sure you get ones built for the marine band and not 2 meter Ham band operation.

If the purpose is to contact other stations within sight, it will not matter.  If the purpose is to contact distance stations the distant horizon, then a 1/4 might be better.  If the purpose is to contact USGC stations whose receiving antennas I assume are on very tall towers far from the actual stations when you are relatively close to the towers then a 5/8 might be better. Either would be better, but noticeably longer than the normal rubber duckie supplied with the radio.  When it hits the fan and you need to use the radio, I seriously doubt messing with an alternative antenna would be a good idea.

I'm not saying the system meets design requirements, but the new USCG VHF system should be able to communicate with a 1 watt handheld unit  two meters above sea level up to 20 NM offshore. 

Here is the coverage map for our area:

SEC-NorNE.jpg

The reality is a kayaker with a radio is very close to sea level and that is perhaps the biggest problem.

Ed Lawson

Because of impedance mismatch I don't think you'll get anywhere near the 6dB to 9dB of gain that the link indicates. Besides, as Ed indicated, the height of the antenna is the main contributor to range. Once I did a radio check from Plum Island with my handheld and the CG station in Boston said I was loud and clear.