Odiorne Point on Saturday December 16th

JohnMonroe

John Haile and I plan to paddle out of Odiorne on the 16th. HT is 0942 and LT is 1600. We’re thinking BiB at 10. Depending on conditions we’d like to poke around and play in rocks rather than accomplish a particular route or circumnavigation. Please reply here with interest. 

Long range forecasts are for quiet ocean conditions, one foot swells with light off shore winds. The temperatures are predicted to be 22 at 10 am rising to a high around 30. 

Here are some trip-planning thoughts for Saturday at Odiorne Point. Please chime in with your questions, corrections and additions. 

I’ve created a float-plan spreadsheet on Google Sheets. Please fill in your info, or let me know that you will not join us. I’ve emailed all of you (except Jim) a link. Jim, I’ll PM you to get your email address. You do not need a Google account for this to work. 

We’ll gather at the Odiorne Point boat launch parking lot, aiming to launch at 10 after considering the conditions we encounter. Windy is forecasting overnight snow ending as we’re driving in, temps in the mid-20s and northwest winds in the teens, gusting to mid-20s. Swell is approaching 3 feet. Of course, that means dry suits and neoprene gloves and headgear for water and wind chill conditions that aren’t kidding around. 

As a group, we will decide on our route for the day. I’m not looking to log big miles or a particular circumnavigation, though we will need to keep active to stay comfy. I wouldn’t mind looking for some conservative rock play along the way. 

I’m aiming to be off the water by 2, maybe 2:30. With early darkness, I won’t want to extend that. I’m guessing we will have had enough chilly fun by then anyway. 

Once we’re off the water, I’ll be headed to The Atlantic Grill restaurant on the way back to 95 for warm food and cold beer: 5 Pioneer Rd, Rye, NH  03870   Parking is easy and there are no shopping centers in the immediate vicinity!  

Breaking new boats into pieces is optional, though not recommended. 

OK, what did I forget?

Hi John,

thanks for organizing.  As discussed, for info, 

High tide at Jaffery point (just by the narrow bridge on the 1B, just north of the put in) is at 09.40, low is at 16.01

Slack before ebb at little harbour entrance is at 10.09 and the maximum flow of 1.18kn being at 12.26.  

Nick

At noon on Friday, I’ll put out an update on this trip: whether it’s a go or no-go based on wind chill.

Please chime in with your thoughts on Thursday or Friday morning.

John

Thanks John.  If the conditions, especially sea state, are accommodating, which they are currently projected to be, I'm in favor of launching no matter what the wind chill.  My thought is that with sea conditions essentially a non-issue we can respond to the forecasted wind and wc with gear. 

I've found these kinds of conditions (controlling for sea state) to be a good test of gear and gauging personal comfort levels with manageable risk. 

It can be a cold water workshop of sorts without planned immersion. 

I was asked last night to provide a day-before notification just in case there’s a cancellation to save people from loading boats and gear. I really want this trip to go and share your feelings about using it as a test and proving ground in familiar surroundings. John Haile and I went out on Lake Gardner yesterday for that purpose and learned several things. 

Forecast looks very good to me so I am planning to be at the put-in tomorrow for a 10am launch. 

If you plan to come and haven’t yet filled in the float plan, please do that today. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AP9YF1tJ1_tGq0vH_-UDRRjR4zjrPgVT8PCpHwNAauk

If you decide not to come, please let me know by posting, PM or email. 

See you tomorrow. 

Yes, we had a very enjoyable trip. The weather forecast matched the conditions very closely, though it never reached the predicted high of 32. We were wearing business casual. 

Great trip.  Wonderful group.  Fun day.  Perfect weather to get out on the water when temps are tanking.   Chosen course did a nice job of mitigating the negatives and optimizing the persistent west winds.  Thanks for organizing John!

Andy,

I missed your earlier question of what we were wearing.  Naturally, all were in drysuits.  I'm fairly certain, all, if not the majority, were clad  in balaclavas with helmets as an extra layer.  At the outset rockplay down the coast to Rye was an option, but as the route shows we opted for circumnav of New Castle and Pierce.    But, now that I think of it, the helmet is definitely an effective windstop. Some wore pogies, some simply gloves.   A conversation throughout the paddle was the pros and cons of pogies.

I once again opted for my Kokatat one piece polartec layer over a Columbia reflective primary wicking layer and a midweight Kokatat midlayer.    I tried out my new NRS Maxim gloves.  They use 3mm in key places and 2mm in others and are fleece-lined.  They are now my go to gloves.  For shoes I went with my winter approach to footwear.  I purchased the NRS ATB boot in a full size larger than I normally wear.  It allows me to wear a silk liner and a thicker smartwool sock.   By going with the size larger and the ATB sole compression/restricting circulation and conduction are greatly minimized.   The ATB has a very thick sole.  Anyway, I was comfortable from head to toe.   I wet-burped my drysuit at launch and lunch and then completed three very quick rolls near the takeout.  Both the burping and rolls were surreal.   I had no sense of cold-other than the small exposed circle of my face.    

Thanks for details David!

3 layers under your dry suit. That’s what I was thinking, or rather 2-1/2: Wicking layer, then short sleeve Kokatat “thermal” for decreased arm bulk, then the same onesie you use.

Ill try the Maximes at one point, I’ve really liked the Glacier Gloves earlier this year.

Andy