How to buy a helmet

glad

I am looking to buy a new helmet with a brim so I don't have to wear my hat under it.  I don't think I want to full ear protection.  

Could folks chime in about things to be mindful of with this purchase? NRS is having a sale but should I make sure I try it on?

Thanks,

Karen

Make sure it is adjustable in size so you can wear a warm hat/hood under it if need be. I like the NRS adjustable model, but the one I have doesn't have a brim. Personally i like wearing a baseball cap under it for the brim.

Karen, after two attempts with other well reviewed helmets I purchased 

https://www.outdoorplay.com/Sweet-Protection-Strutter-Kayak-Helmet-16?utm_source=google&utm_medium=criteo-shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAoqXQBRA8EiwAIIOWsiCVwq7ko0ZZPSgqTzM2BSa8OsFfyWRXYWBnk5xK9QKQAFZsBXVH3RoC5l0QAvD_BwE

I  had fit issues combined with the fact that I wanted a substantial brim and no ear covering. 

I've been very happy with the helmet after nearly 3 years.  I love the fit system.  On a winter paddle yesterday I started with a neo-cap under the helmet and it only took less than 10 seconds to adjust the fit.

I suggest doing your best at measuring and using a retailer with an easy return/exchange policy. 

Good luck.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. Decided to go with the sweet strutter helmut. I'm right in the middle of the small size range so I think it'll be easy to fit a warm hat or neoprene hood under it.  

New gear! Very excited.

• 2 weeks later...

Helmut update: I received my small Sweet Strutter Helmut.  Wow!  Is it substantial!

However,  I found the sides without a hat to be pressing pretty hard on my temples.  I'm not sure if i would be comfortable after even an hour of wear.  

You can take out some padding but then there is nothing else to take out for a hat.    I suppose I could just order a medium and send one back but it might not be a good fit overall. And then I would be shipping two back.  

Does anyone have a medium I could try on? Or is there anywhere around here where they sell them? 

Hi Deb - thank you for responding to my message.  I have the S/M

Is there any chance I could try on your M/L helmut?  I work on the Beverly Hospital Campus next thursday Dec 14.  Where on the North Shore are you located?   I could not send a message to you internally.  

Thank, 

Karen

Edited by glad

Hi Deb - my email to you was rejected .  I sent it to:

gaeldotcridhe at comcast dot net

Could you please let me know if this is correct or contact me through: drkglad at gmail dot com

Thanks,

Karen