Sad News - Gene Cosloy

prudenceb

For those of you not on facebook, or who rarely go there, sad news just posted of the death of long-time NSPN member, Gene Cosloy.  The post said he died on November 5, seven years after being diagnosed with multiple myeloma.  I am sure that links to obits will be posted here soon.

Prudence

About twelve years ago I met Gene for the first time while I was tuning up my roll at Walden Pond. Gene was there in a sea kayak. Because he had never paddled in the ocean, I convinced him to meet me at Lanes cove a few days later and our friendship began. He soon joined NSPN.

Within a few months Gene had mastered a reliable roll. Gene, several others and I met weekly to paddle from various put-ins on the north shore. Several years later Gene started to slow down. We both assumed it was due to normal aging.

But about seven years ago Gene was diagnosed with cancer (a fairly rare blood disorder called Multiple Myeloma). For sure that accounted for his slowdown.

In many ways Gene is a hero. Through many years of chemo, blood transfers, broken bones, two complete hip replacements, etc., he kept paddling whenever he could and made the best of it. What more can a sea kayaking hero do? He clung to life as long as he could. Unfortunately, the cancer finally beat him.

RIP Gene (aka Chip)

-Leon (aka Biff)

P1010016.JPG

Sorry to say that I had not laid eyes on Gene for a season or two, let alone paddled with him, recently, and am very sad to hear that he finally lost his battle with cancer.  Someone mentioned his sense of humour: so right!  He could have fun in teasing me and goading me regarding English usage, since everyone knows I am particular (pedantic?)  <His> usage was just fine!

Death comes for us all; yea, even for kings...

You'll be missed, old chap!  RIP, Gene. 

(Nice words from the Biff, above) 

I will miss Gene.  I guess we all will miss him.

I did not share as much time with him on the water as many of you, but had tremendous respect for him and for what he had to say.  He really was a gentleman and a scholar (autodidact).  

Thankyou Leon(Biff)... for the well chosen words and photo.

RIP Gene

Edited by BillyD

• 3 weeks later...