Skin on Frame

Jim Snyder

Since I got started carving and using Greenland paddles I have gotten interested in maybe building a skin on frame kayak. I'm wondering if there are any of you who have built or use them who I might talk to, or who might help talking me out of this???

If you have been on an NSPN trip where someone was paddling a skin-on-frame, it was probably me.  While a number of NSPNers own and/or have built skin-on-frame kayaks, I believe I'm the only currently active member who still always uses their skin-on-frame kayak when they sea kayak.  I've sent you a PM with my phone number if that is more suitable to you needs.  I'm also happy to discuss skin-on-frame kayaks here.  (If you haven't found it already, you should also checkout the http://www.qajaqusa.org/ forum.)

Someone who has built and paddled a skin-on-frame but now uses a factory kayak would be a better resource if you want to be talked out of building your own.

In my opinion, the main downside of a skin-on-frame is the lack of a rear bulkhead if you need to be rescued.  Though a sea-sock can address that issue if you don't have confidence in your roll, and with a little patience rescuing a skin-on-frame without a sock is very similar to rescuing a Cleopatra's Needle situation.

The main upside is the psychic joy of paddling a kayak you built yourself without having to commit as many hours as you would need for a strip built kayak.  There is also something neat about paddling a skin kayak instead of a hard shell that makes you feel more connected to the water.

I should also note that skin-on-frame does not mean Greenland Kayak, though all true Greenland Kayaks are skin-on-frame kayaks.  Personally I love my modern F1, and have high hopes for my not yet launched Baidarka.  Because I'm big and inflexible, I'm far less interested in Greenland style Kayaks.

-Bill

P.S.

While I have carved two Greenland paddles and have three unfinished in my basement, I currently use a Gearlab Paddle as my primary sea kayaking paddle.

I've built 3 SOFs, all with relatively traditional construction (lashed & pegged frames, sewn skins). If you want to try your hand at boat building, SOFs are the easiest and least expensive of the standard construction methods (SOF, Stitch & Glue, strip-built), so you don't have a lot to lose. However, they're also the most variable in performance, since they're traditionally sized to the paddle and not built from plans or a kit. All three of my boats were quite different in their handling characteristics and I ended up modifying my first boat after building the third one to change a few things that were less than ideal. It's the only one I've kept. The building process is a lot of fun, so I certainly won't discourage you from giving it a try.

Do you have any specific questions or concerns?

There have been low cost used skin boats come up for sale. Maybe you could find one that fits?

Yost and maybe Kudzo  use some non traditional skin methods which may be more to your liking.

and for my 2 cts:

If you have a warm shop area, are handy and like wood projects you could bang out a proven design in stitch and glue in under 100 hours. There are many designs that have the hard chines and lines you may be looking for.

Have you been to the Guillemot Kayak building bulletin board site?   They cover a lot on Skin boats.

Thanks for your replies and to Bill for lots more input via pm. I owned a Chesapeake 17 for a while and while I liked it and would enjoy the woodworking part the fiberglass work is not for me. I've gotten interested in this company, http://www.madekayaks.com/ , they use cnc cross sections for a "fuselage" build. I would like to know if anyone has a boat that would fit me at 6'0" and 175# that would let me try it out.

For some reason my text is stuck on bold, not intended for emphasis.

From what I've seen of fuselage boats, with the exception of Tom Yost's designs, most of them are rather bland and non-traditional with high decks. The construction method is certainly fast and easy, and arguably more predictable than steam bending ribs. However, you're not getting the custom fit that you do with traditional construction. I guess it really all comes down to what you want.

• 3 months later...

I'm just starting out with SOF, too. I'm building a Yost Sea Tour 17 EXP because of my size and weight (6', 250 lbs). I've already completed and am paddling a Pygmy Boats Borealis XL that I love but have the building addiction now.

So far, I've ripped all the stringers, gunwales and keelson. I've drawn the outlines of the stations and built the strongback. The fun part is about to begin with cutting the stations and staring the build. Advice is always welcome.

While this post is still somewhat active I want to say if someone is thinking of building but lacks the equipment to get things going, I have a heavy duty table saw, 15" planer and bandsaw available here in Canterbury NH and would be happy to help get someone through the parts production phase. I'm not set up for bending yet if you decide to go that route.

• 2 years later...

Update:

I hadn't yet paddled this boat much and decided it was time to play around with it in some fresh water. I had a terrible paddle several days ago. I couldn't get comfortable, I couldn't get my big feet settled on the pegs, and in general couldn't wait to get out. I was ready to turn it into a lawn ornament. Then I had an idea. I pulled the footpegs out and made a footboard to rest against the next fuselage stage, essentially foaming it out 5" I originally thought I would use some kind of foam but my prototype of solid wood worked fine. It even provided an anchor point for a pump:

IMG_1437.thumb.JPG.adbfd7a652d5b468ac50dfd28d5ed6b5.JPG

:IMG_1436.thumb.JPG.1c2d7ef4637659cb62be3a760bf58835.JPG

As a bonus, I got some much needed storage capacity:

IMG_1438.thumb.JPG.5e444dba93aeddef22c47669f9343847.JPG

I went for a 4 mile paddle on Winnisquam yesterday and it was like a whole different boat. Total comfort for the feet. Now I'm working up the nerve to take it out on the ocean...