Big conditions off Marblehead

My wife and I did the post-storm tour of Marblehead Neck (on land that is!) this morning in the wake of last night's big wind event, which left a lot of downed tree limbs across the town. 60 mph wind gusts and 12 ft seas were forecast overnight. Here's a video of the scene, showing the shoal field between the Neck and Tom Moore's Rock. Note that these breakers were occurring at this morning's high tide... the waves are big...

IMG_1085.m4v

Standing on that rock and taking the video was risky enough to earn me some adventure points. A minute after I vacated that spot, a huge set rolled in and washed over the place I'd just been standing.

(I *was* keeping an eye on the incoming sets while I shot this, but this was a perfect reminder of how lots of people have bought the farm while innocently watching the waves...)

On 11/2/2017 at 11:31 AM, Joseph Berkovitz said:

Standing on that rock and taking the video was risky enough to earn me some adventure points. A minute after I vacated that spot, a huge set rolled in and washed over the place I'd just been standing.

(I *was* keeping an eye on the incoming sets while I shot this, but this was a perfect reminder of how lots of people have bought the farm while innocently watching the waves...)

Whoa!  Yes, I got knocked off my feet once, and almost pulled into the water, while ocean watching on some rocks on a "calm" day in Hawaii. I never even saw the wave that hit me; but I still have scars where I clung to the lava shoreline for dear life as the retreating water dragged me towards the edge. I've never forgotten that moment, glad you didn't have a similar one!