Tucks Point

alcoons

I believe Tucks Point is a Manchester-by-the-Sea  municipal park adjacent to a boat club, so use of this area  as a launch site by non- resident kayakers  is subject to the rules and whims  of the town authorities . My understanding is that  there's no official policy, but in the  off -season when the park is less populated by residents and kayaker use would be moderate -to- infrequent anyway , kayakers generally use Tucks point , and park their cars  at the far end of the lawn.  Essentially, as long as use of Tucks  by kayakers is not a problem that comes to the attention of the town authorities, it may be used as a kayak launch site  .   E.G.  use by kayakers in the summer would likely  be noticed as a problem  for residents in the summer months due to the park's increased use , so as a matter of practice Tucks is avoided by kayakers then.  

Thanks Peter. I am glad it is much as it has been (except when it was abused by non-NSPNers quite a few years ago). However, I did not realize that it was a municipal park.  We always parked in the back of the lot. Then we use to carry down and launch near the gazebo of the club. Is that what you are referring to?

Al

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, thats right. Parking  the back of that lawn , close to the trees, then carrying down past the gazebo as you described  is still the way that it's  done, I believe.  I'm not sure if that parking lawn is town or private property,  but  either way , it  can be closed to kayaker use  at any time if the town authorities so choose, and using it is cool as long as there are no issues or complaints from the town. I'm not aware of any change in the station there, but I haven't been there in a good while, so to be 100% sure, best to get some more local knowledge or inquire with the town.