Somes Sound, MDI, 9.8.17

gyork

Given the forecast for mild to moderate SW winds, Somes Sound looked to be a nice alternative, having never paddled there before.  Liz and Sherry were game, and we decided to meet for a 9 AM launch, having caravanned from Llangolan Inn to Northeast Harbor at the public launch (all tides, paved).

IMGP0062.thumb.JPG.1f13180e9c2b9060be100206b0f855da.JPG

I was fortunate to have known a descendent of the Somes family, Steve, an usher at my wedding, who died tragically in his 30's.  On this beautiful day we would use the aid of the flood tide to attempt to reach the end. At a maximum depth (chart) of 152', debate exists whether or not Somes Sound can be considered a true fjord.  As always, when possible, a counterclockwise trip was planned, and we meandered up the eastern shore line, stopping briefly for a snack at the Sargent Drive public access. IMGP0065.thumb.JPG.ad6da3d99bcf9786916c32b0f9423870.JPG

The push from the tide was quite noticeable at the two narrowest sections, where I was able to squeeze a 5.7 knot ride, with some strong paddling. Ever the explorer, I was eager to go to the end of the "road" to see all that was to be seen. We were stopped short by the small bridge that separates Somes Harbor from the northern marsh. A two-foot drop to the other side was going to be a one-way endeavor, unless we waited for slack, possibly two hours away.

IMGP0070.thumb.JPG.68a5773657a38d621199c947ca3918ce.JPG

Seals and possibly a dolphin? were seen far up into this reach. A nearby private (yes, we got the OK from a local) launch area served as dining room for a delicious lunch.

IMGP0075.thumb.JPG.cadb492c9bf660618ece25f841d5cc75.JPG

We benefited a little from the early ebbb on our way back along the western shore, where granite debris along an expansive stretch was evidence for previous quarrying operations. Surprise, surprise-a quick glance at the chart showed the small village of Hill Quarry. We stumbled upon a tiny waterfall-let at Valley Cove.

IMGP0077.thumb.JPG.4c705346a235b1fe49796a46c8c17c24.JPG

Sauveur Mt's imposing cliff face reminded me not a little of Franconia Notch.  Any rock climbers out there?

IMGP0079.thumb.JPG.240b5234e71595d88a61c34eebaac6e6.JPG

Nearby, we wondered if this tethered sailboat had permission to tie up at this aid-to-navigation?

IMGP0078.thumb.JPG.b571057858e3ef52917e7eb5e848bbd6.JPG

We were too spent to venture on to Southwest Harbor (another time) so we enjoyed a gentle push back to the launch, loaded boats, enjoyed a local dinner, and headed back to the Inn.

Local knowledge:  Northeast Harbor has an excellent put-in. Suggest getting there early for a parking space. We had no issues in the "off" season, but might be a problem in the dead of summer. PM me for info regarding the northern private launch area.

Track/stats of our paddle: here