Drysuits

rpg51

Kokatat GoreTex for the quality and warranty. Get a suit with built-in socks, but all other options are personal preference. The Idol suit with the waist zipper has mixed reviews, and should definitely be test-fitted first before ordering one.  Newburyport Kayak and Canoe should have a good selection of demo suits to try out and can help with ordering if they don't have stock. 

Now on my second drysuit I can hands down say Kokatat as Rob suggested. I would suggest as with anything in Sea Kayaking you have to think about what it is you plan on doing.  Although a few member here of the Expedition drysuit I do find it overkill for most.  I previously owned the Kokatat Radius which is from the two piece line.  After a year and a few leaks from the zipper I had enough.  I wrote Kokatat and explained my frustrations with the suit and my honest concerns.  They offered to give me 20% off a new suit and I bought a Kokatat Icon which has a shoulder zip.  It was the first time I said a suit I looked forward to wearing.  I would suggest you try on a range of suits and see what really works for you.

As a male I would go with the Kokatat Expedition.   (The hood is now removable, when I ordered mine I ordered it without the hood as it wasn't removal).

For someone that's Female one should look at the Expedition and the Idol and weigh up the pros and cons.   

-Jason

Rob, While there are clearly other options I can heartily recommend Kokatat for the initial quality and subsequent customer service if needed.  I own two Expedition suits and am very satisfied.  I too ordered mine without the hood so in my case  the removable option sounds perfect.

Good luck!

Jonathan - how do you find that back zip as far as ease of entry and zipping?  I've got worn out shoulders.  Raising arms up and twisting arms up high is tough.  Its tough getting old!

Edit - I just watched a youtube of a guy putting the Icon on.  If my shoulders were 30 years old instead of 65 years old I would definitely go with the back zip. As it is, that back zip is going to be hard for me.  Your talking PAIN.

What troubles did you have with the Radius?  Given my old body - that waist zip looks very appealing.

Edited by rpg51

The Icon is super easy to put on especially if someone can help with the zipper.  I see a lot of people trying to get out of there chest zip suits and it looks awkward/semi painful.  

The radius leaked frequently.  It also requires one to be very careful and patient with the zipper.  The bolt closure is prone to stripping.  If the zipper gets sand in it it's nearly impossible to remove the sand.  I also found getting the top over my shoulders tough. 

I would highly suggest you get measured and order a custom suit regardless of your choice.

The more I read your comments and watch video reviews etc. the more I am warming up to the Icon rear entry.  Still worried about whether my old defective shoulders will allow me to get in and out by myself.  I guess I should find  a local dealer and try one.  I do like the idea of eliminating that thick zipper across my chest and getting it up and out of the way.

Tell me though, is there a way to leave the bottom of suit on when you are enjoying a shore lunch or in camp but remove the neck and wrists and let it drape somehow?  Can you get, or do you need, suspenders like on the expedition.

Also, does the back zipper interfere with your pfd fit?

1 hour ago, rpg51 said:

Tell me though, is there a way to leave the bottom of suit on when you are enjoying a shore lunch or in camp but remove the neck and wrists and let it drape somehow?  Can you get, or do you need, suspenders like on the expedition.

I find the Icon more comfortable than the Front Entry when draped. I have never used suspenders with any drysuit.

I notice the back zipper against the PFD for the first few minutes, kind of like when first putting on a watch, then I forget about it.  Switching to the Icon did not change what PFD I used.

My only real concern in your case would be your shoulder issues.  Agree you should try one on.

One issue I have noticed with rear entry suits is the potential for snagging an undergarment in the zipper. You may notice a thick fleece getting caught, but I have actually seen a thin shirt caught in a rear entry zipper and needed to help them remove it.   I have never owned a real entry myself, but just keep my zippers lubed for easy use.  Draping a front entry can be a slight challenge to keep the sleeves from dragging or the whole suit from ending up around your feet, but don't know if the rear entry has the same issue. They usually have a waist draw string to help keep the lower half in place, and I will pull my sleeves through that to keep them from dragging.  

When going in to "stand-by" mode I just pull the suit down to my hips and tie the sleeves together, never had any issues with that. 

To Robs point I could see how clothes could get stuck in the zipper but if the suit fits properly it shouldn't be so close to the shoulder that garments could get caught.  I would think though have not seen that layers could get stuck in any zipper.